DW5 Challenges

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

DW5 Challenges

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:48 pm

I've decided to post some challenges for DW5 that may be of interest to players who like Chaos and don't think that it's difficult enough. I hope I'll have a chance to try something new too :wink:
Zhang Liao's challenge is actually a detailed walkthrough :lol: I'll probably not give such obvious hints in other challenges. When planning challenges I try to make them tactically hard and possibly demanding a bit of strategy, such as inderectly influencing your allies action. So I guess it'll be no fun to tell how the things are done as the only task left will be effective button mashing.

1. "Cao Xing, you shall pay dearly for the light you've taken from me"
The challenge is for DW5 so NO DW5XL items are allowed.
Play Xiahou Dun on Chaos at Xia Pi on Cao's side. NO tiger amulet AND NO herbal remedy and NO orbs and no bodyguards are allowed. You must immediately kill Cao Xing after losing the eye in ONE hit (like in the novel :D ). If Cao Xing blocks your attack - you've lost. If he hits you - you've also lost. So you have only one chance. Dun's jump charge is multihit, so you are not allowed to use it. And you have only 90 seconds after the start of the stage to do this. So even if you kill Cao Xing after a minute and 31 second have passed - you've lost.

2. "Hold the frontlines!!!"
Ok, this challenge is insane. I made it for Sima Yi.
Mission: complete WZP (DW5, free mode, chaos, Wei side) without loosing ANY of your generals and subgenerals and ANY of your bases. You also must not retreat when arbalests appear. That means Sima Yi must say "what's Jiang Wei up to? Still, we can't let this opportunity slip away". If you get "Jiang Wei..You..All units fall back" message instead and Liu Ye soon appeared to reinforce you then you failed to complete the challenge even if all of your bases and generals are intact.
You can use any of DW5 items and bodyguards but you CAN NOT use XL items (such as true way of musou or dragonarms). You can not play it in Sima Yi's musou because it's his 4th stage and easier than in free mode. It goes without saying but no second player or idle second player are allowed.
As the challenge is nearly impossible I will share some tips:
1.Xiahou Ba will not last longer than 90-120 seconds if both Wei Yan and Wang Ping are alive. Babysitting him is a bad idea because your eastern base is also a pain.
2. Deng Ai will die in less than 1 minute if Wang Ping is alive. Zhong Hui will not last much longer.
3. If you don't trigger Zhuge Liang's death in less than 3 minutes he will use reserve units. You can consider yourself dead because there's no way you can defend Xiahou Ba, Deng Ai, Zhong Hui and eastern defence base simultaneously.
4. In order to press the attack after the arbalests appear you need to defeat Wei Yan, Liao Hua,Wang Ping, Ma Dai, two subs of Yue Ying (may be only one but my allies always kill Chen Shi), cut off the supply route, trigger Guan Suo's arrival (may be not, but that always happens when I fight Liao Hua), trigger catapults attack. All must be done before the arbalests appear. So don't bother with attack bases because you want them to slow down your allies.
5. I suggest the folowing for Sima Yi: red hare, light orb, ginseng, tiger amulet, green scroll, demon band, speed scroll. Bodyguard with Fame usually adds about 15-20 seconds before Xiahou Ba is finished (use this time wisely). Fight in red.
Good luck, you'll need it.

3. "Your best will not be good enough"
This a very easy challenge. The players can use any DW5 items, though you don't really need anything but Red Hare and light/shadow orb.
Play Zhou Tai at Bai Di Castle on Chaos. You must not allow Shu officers ambush your forces. That means you must prevent Ma Chao from entering mountain pass and attacking Sun Quan and prevent Huang Zhong from taunting Huang Gai.
Tips: Ma Chao never fights backs and tries to get to the NE exit point after he says "so Wu will attack even the innocent". He never leaves the map in first 117-120 seconds and I remember he once headed for the pass after more than 3 minutes. And you have plenty of time before the bomberman gets in trouble.

4. "Guan Du, Chi Bi - remember them well!!!"

Mission: Play Zhang Liao's Musou story on Chaos. In his last stage, the battle of He Fei, you must achieve the following:
1. Kill 10 generals/subgenerals before Cao Ren shows up. This includes Gan Ning.
2. Do not lose any base, general or subgeneral or gate.
3. You can use any DW5 items, bodyguard and weapon but you're not allowed to use XL items/weapons.

The challenge is extremely hard and maybe even harder than "hold the frontline" because unlike Sima Yi, Zhang Liao is not capable of killing multiple generals in seconds. Here is some help.
Items: Red Hare, Ice Orb, Green Scroll, Speed Scroll, Tiger Amulet, Ginseng, Wind Scroll.
Step1. Kill the major near Ma Zhong. Grab War Axe. Freeze Ma Zhong with C6 while not facing him. Finish him off with musou. If you're not lucky with ice - you still have double attack so he won't be a problem. Mount Red Hare and head to Ding Feng. Lure him away from his base archers. Kill him. Grab Rage token and mount Red Hare and dash to Zhao Fan.
Step 2. Activate Musou Rage. Kill Zhao Fan. The bridge is down. Keep killing the peons around Zhao Fan position, but stay far from base archers. Pan Zhang will attack you, but you'll get 100 KOs and another Rage is possible. Besides you'll get 10 sec musou and War Axe from the peons there. Kill him.
Step3. The target is not to allow Chen Wu to escape behind his defence base. Head straight north and you'll catch him. Kill him. Pray that archers won't hit you Zhu Huan is also near. Finish him off and help Li Dian to kill Zhu Ran. But be careful as Li Dian can steal your kill.
Step4. Zhu Zhi must be in his position in NE of the map. This is the toughest fight as you cannot hide from archers from defence bases. Kill Zhu Zhi. If Xu Huang has not showed up yet, then just keep slaughtering peons. Once he appears - head straight to your gate NW of Li Dian's supply base.
Final step. Wait for Gan Ning to appear. Defend your gate captain at all costs. If he's dead - you've failed to complete the challenge. Wipe out the Gan Ning's peons. One of them has War Axe which is very handy. Kill Dong Xi first. Finally - "shut that worthless fool up for good" before Cao Ren appears. Finish the stage.
Congratulations.
You will lose Li Dian's supply base and thus fail to complete the challenge if you trigger ambush too late.

5. "Heh, looks like we are the first ones here. Let's go".

This challenge is fun though it may seem impossible and insane first.
Mission: Play Cao Cao at Hu Lao Gate, Free Mode, Allies side, Chaos. You must finish the stage before Yuan Shao with the main army arrives. You have only 3 minutes to do this (sometimes 3-4 seconds more). But defeating Dong Zhuo under 3 minutes is too easy, even on Chaos, so the following generals must be also defeated: Li Ru, Li Jue, Zhao Cen, Jia Xu and ...LU BU Yep, Lu Bu must be defeated along with Dong Zhuo and the mentioned generics before Yuan Shao shows up.
You can use any DW5 items, Wrath of Heaven or any other weapon and any bodyguard.
Tips: Demon Band is your best friend here. If you're really fast and lucky with the ice orb you can defeat Lu Bu before he enters Musou Rage. I even managed to kill him in a single musou once, though maybe it was a glitch.
Have fun

Edit: "Hold the frontlines!!!" challenge was added.
Edit 12/01/07: "Your best will not be good enough" challenge was added.
Edit 29/11/09: All the challenges have been nicely placed in the first post so it's easier for people to find them. I've also edited them a bit. More will come
Last edited by Xiahou Jia on Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: DW5 Challenges

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:40 pm

Xiahou Jia wrote:3. "Your best will not be good enough"
This a very easy challenge. The players can use any DW5 items, though you don't really need anything but Red Hare and light/shadow orb.
Play Zhou Tai at Bai Di Castle on Chaos. You must not allow Shu officers ambush your forces. That means you must prevent Ma Chao from entering mountain pass and attacking Sun Quan and prevent Huang Zhong from taunting Huang Gai.
Tips: Ma Chao never fights backs and tries to get to the NE exit point after he says "so Wu will attack even the innocent". He never leaves the map in first 117-120 seconds and I remember he once headed for the pass after more than 3 minutes. And you have plenty of time before the bomberman gets in trouble.

Edit: "Hold the frontlines!!!" challenge was added.
Edit 12/01/07: "Your best will not be good enough" challenge was added.

Bodyguards allowed? I found it much easier if there's someone extra to trip Ma Chao over while he's making the mad dash to the entry point.

I actually managed this a couple of times---beat up Ma Chao, head back to take out Huang Zhong, destroy arbalests, etc. The reason why I did it more than once was because I always end up dying in some stupid way---like at the hands of Liu Chan or one of his sub-generals. :x

You know what's weird, once I was heading towards Ma Chao and was at the location of Guan Xing. Ma Chao said his line and then came south to fight me there instead of teleporting himself over to Sun Quan!
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:10 pm

You can use a bodyguard if you like, but i don't think he/she will be of use because:
1. You'll probably kill Ma Chao before your bodyguard gets to the NE of map.
2. He/she can help Ma Chao to get pass the NE by sending him flying there.

I've never seen Ma Chao teleporting south. I will try to see if it's possible to trigger this at will.
By the way, Ma Dai, the subgeneral of Ma Chao, never retreats after Ma Chao's defeat and is not shown on the map, but always roams to the N of Guan Xing. When you hit him you can see that he belongs to Ma Chao's unit and has 8 stars morale.
There's no trick to it. I'm not using an orbment, it's not magic...and I'm not using an artifact, either. I just will fire to appear, and it does.
McBurn
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Darkest Legacy » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:22 pm

How about this one, Guan Yu's escape, dont let the carriage get hurt one bit, thats hard since the Carriage moves off before you, you have to play as guan yu, since playing as anyone else gives u extra general, it took me three tries, ps- ive finished your challenges, you got anymore, these challenges were interesting and cool.
Darkest Legacy
Banned

Re: DW5 Challenges

Unread postby Green Politico » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:35 pm

[quote="Lady Wu]Bodyguards allowed? I found it much easier if there's someone extra to trip Ma Chao over while he's making the mad dash to the entry point.
[/quote]

No kidding, once or twice I couldn't even get him to stop.
Green Politico
Apprentice

Unread postby Darkest Legacy » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:35 pm

Lol, not for me, i used Zhou Tai and all, all i had to do was his mousu rage, run up infront of him with red hare, smach back as far as i could until mousu rage is gone, but thats not possible, since you dont have time to get it, so what i did, is ran with all my life to him, slashed him towards the gate on accident, but got off infront of him in time and attacked him as much as i could, luckely i had 95 kills and got 5 more killing his soldiers whilst attacking him, go tmousu rage going, attacked him as much as i could, moving him much further, he got upin a perfect positionn and i mousud him with true mousu, he got merked, at that point he had only a quarter of his life left (mousu taking half of on its own) then i killed him the rest of the way, and luckely with red life left i killed him, luckely i found a meat bun (somthing rare in Chaos mode), got health back all the way to green charged straight at Huang Zhong and killed him easy Peazy, not really tho, he took more work then Ma Chao, simple because i didnt give Ma Chao a chance, he had archers around him and i go shot to the ground, nearly died but got that last hit and beat him with mousu attack, i have to say this was a hard one.
Darkest Legacy
Banned

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:53 am

Finally, the next challenge is proved to be beatable so get ready :wink:

"Guan Du, Chi Bi - remember them well!!!"

Mission: Play Zhang Liao's Musou story on Chaos. In his last stage, the battle of He Fei, you must achieve the following:
1. Kill 10 generals/subgenerals before Cao Ren shows up. This includes Gan Ning.
3. You can use any DW5 items, bodyguard and weapon but you're not allowed to use XL items/weapons.

The challenge is extremely hard and maybe even harder than "hold the frontline" because unlike Sima Yi, Zhang Liao is not capable of killing multiple generals in seconds. Here is some help.
Items: Red Hare, Ice Orb, Green Scroll, Speed Scroll, Tiger Amulet, Ginseng, Wind Scroll.
Step1. Kill the major near Ma Zhong. Grab War Axe. Freeze Ma Zhong with C6 while not facing him. Finish him off with musou. If you're not lucky with ice - you still have double attack so he won't be a problem. Mount Red Hare and head to Ding Feng. Lure him away from his base archers. Kill him. Grab Rage token and mount Red Hare and dash to Zhao Fan.
Step 2. Activate Musou Rage. Kill Zhao Fan. The bridge is down. Keep killing the peons around Zhao Fan position, but stay far from base archers. Pan Zhang will attack you, but you'll get 100 KOs and another Rage is possible. Besides you'll get 10 sec musou and War Axe from the peons there. Kill him.
Step3. The target is not to allow Chen Wu to escape behind his defence base. Head straight north and you'll catch him. Kill him. Pray that archers won't hit you :) Zhu Huan is also near. Finish him off and help Li Dian to kill Zhu Ran. But be careful as Li Dian can steal your kill.
Step4. Zhu Zhi must be in his position in NE of the map. This is the toughest fight as you cannot hide from archers from defence bases. Kill Zhu Zhi. If Xu Huang has not showed up yet, then just keep slaughtering peons. Once he appears - head straight to your gate NW of Li Dian's supply base.
Final step. Wait for Gan Ning to appear. Defend your gate captain at all costs. If he's dead - you've failed to complete the challenge. Wipe out the Gan Ning's peons. One of them has War Axe which is very handy. Kill Dong Xi first. Finally - "shut that worthless fool up for good" before Cao Ren appears. Finish the stage.
Congratulations.
I've succeded twice out of 18 tries. I also managed to do this 3 times more but was killed later by Sun Quan and Lu Meng's bodyguards.

Edit: You will lose Li Dian's supply base and thus fail to complete the challenge if you trigger ambush too late.
There's no trick to it. I'm not using an orbment, it's not magic...and I'm not using an artifact, either. I just will fire to appear, and it does.
McBurn
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dante666 » Thu May 03, 2007 10:07 am

Xiahou Jia wrote:Finally, the next challenge is proved to be beatable so get ready :wink:

"Guan Du, Chi Bi - remember them well!!!"

Step3. The target is not to allow Chen Wu to escape behind his defence base. Head straight north and you'll catch him. Kill him. Pray that archers won't hit you :) Zhu Huan is also near. Finish him off and help Li Dian to kill Zhu Ran. But be careful as Li Dian can steal your kill.
Congratulations.
I've succeded twice out of 18 tries. I also managed to do this 3 times more but was killed later by Sun Quan and Lu Meng's bodyguards.

Edit: You will lose Li Dian's supply base and thus fail to complete the challenge if you trigger ambush too late.

I tryed that

PAIN LOTS AND LOTS OF PAIN TO THE TV AND PS2
AAAARRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHH
I HATE IT :evil:
Dante666
Tyro

Unread postby Darkest Legacy » Fri May 11, 2007 5:01 pm

Tried it and luckely completed it, with red health.
Here is a challenge i thought off:
Play any level, try and get yourself to the red zone (health) by letting enemies hitting you, and then when in that stage kill everyone, without every using meatbuns, its gonna be hard just trying to get health to red without dying.
Darkest Legacy
Banned

Unread postby SunXia » Fri May 11, 2007 8:45 pm

Darkest Legacy wrote:Tried it and luckely completed it, with red health.
Here is a challenge i thought off:
Play any level, try and get yourself to the red zone (health) by letting enemies hitting you, and then when in that stage kill everyone, without every using meatbuns, its gonna be hard just trying to get health to red without dying.
Bai Di Castle getting Xing Cai's weapon, totally forgot to get life after getting her life down and just remembered when Sun Quan hit me and I nearly had to change, but I beat him ok!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Next

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training