Most embarrassing character

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Most cringeworthy...

Cow Pee... uh, Cao Pi
3%
Ma "eat my justice" Chao
9%
*giggle* Xiao *gigglegiggle* Qiao *giggle*
17%
Zhang Jiao... oh Heavvvvveeeeennnnnssss!
20%
Zhuge Liang---he MEANT to be that way...
2%
La Vita di Zhang He e bella!
35%
Others (explain!)
14%

Total votes : 133

Re: Most embarrassing character

Unread postby Xu Huang fan » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:14 am

DragonAtma wrote:Don't forget Best Generic; it may give some ideas who should be added.

the winner of that pole was Chen Gong, with Xun Yu losing by one vote
Ding Feng/Sun Shang Xiang is my new one true crack pairing XD (thank you ROT3KXI)
Xu Huang fan
Langzhong

Unread postby Jordan » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:07 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Something that surprised me recently and didn't want to create a new thread.

I generally thought, in the west, that Liu Shan was a popular add once people saw/played him. I knew his being added divided people, some of us (like myself and Xu Yuan) were delighted/hoping, others were angry at the dimsum eating surrender monkey getting added. However once people finished 7, the reactions I saw tended to be on the lines of AWESOME! or actual praise of koei for going in an unexpected direction.

However when reading through a "least favourite character" thread elsewhere, I was surprised at the amount of mentions for Liu Shan. I'm still not entirely sure why, whether some novel overshadow or if the character doesn't gel for some, but seems for many that Liu Shan would be their pick for this sort of thread. Would love to know why people dislike him and what makes him so divisive a character

Liu Shan sucked historically, novelwise and otherwise. I would have never thought he would be a good add to Dynasty Warriors.

Koei somehow made him a good add to Dynasty Warriors by giving him a good personality that is befitting but not outright laughable. I couldn't believe it but I actually ended up liking their version of Liu Shan. It blew my mind.

I voted in this thread for Xiao Qiao. That character is consistently terrible. Oddly I actually kind of like Da Qiao.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:22 pm

-Not a surprise some figures drop or change though quite a fall for Ma Chao. Whose popularity in the east puzzles me, at least in regards DW

-Qiao's are another puzzler for why popular in east but I suppose Da has always run less of a risky character. If she goes wrong, she is a little annoying. Her sister goes wrong and it really irritates

-BSN was fun and Cai Yan was a nice enough lady but felt, in 7, that koei really hadn't thought of how to use them before they added them. Plus they have newness value. With Zhou Tai underwritten, a bland Zhou Yu and Gan Ning becomes rather annoying....

I wouldn't quite say he sucked historically Jordan but I may be biased :wink: I did understand some of the reaction to his being announced but koei went a way I didn't expect and surpassed my expectations.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Jordan » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:27 pm

He was not highly regarded historically by anybody. I always thought that blame for Shu-Han's downfall fell disproportionately on Liu Shan, but that doesn't make Liu Shan remarkable either. He was a barely active ruler and when he did make decisions, they usually weren't very good ones.

As a character in DW, though, he's awesome. Surprisingly.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:49 pm

Highly regarded? No. He more seems liked and gained loyalty that way rather then well regarded. He was certainly not a remarkable figure, he was lazy and not very bright but I wouldn't say he sucked. He provided stability, kept loyalty of his officers and that gave a platform for decades of prosperity but also a key figure in their fall due to said laziness and some bad choices. I wouldn't say that meant he sucked though

His DW figure is one of my favs. His walkabouts in DW7XL are hilarious
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby MhiHayoli » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:55 am

I thought this through thorougly from every DW and RTK game aspect and looked into the lines and designs of every of them.

My vote went to Cao Pi. Why? Because he tries to be cool, he tries to be cold (or even colder) than Cao Cao, but he acts more like a spoiled brat. Everytime I play with him I start to see him as a cleptomaniac sometimes and this is weird, because I don't get that with any other character O_O;

Well, besides Zhang Jiao protesting with a megaphone. But that is harmless XD

Cao Pi's lines are something like a "I steal the way my father talks" thing for me. I find that quite annoying. Even more than Xiao Qiao giggling and Zhang Jiao praising the Heavens o.o
"I do not speak to change minds. I do not trust in the sweetening lies you speak with false dignity. I care nothing for your worldly treasures and pity you all for you need them to feel value in life."
-LordBloodySoul-
MhiHayoli
Assistant

Location: I am now traveling with Lord Lu Bu, Tao and Umi Mari in search for a new home base.

Unread postby Xu Huang fan » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:37 pm

MhiHayoli wrote:I thought this through thorougly from every DW and RTK game aspect and looked into the lines and designs of every of them.

My vote went to Cao Pi. Why? Because he tries to be cool, he tries to be cold (or even colder) than Cao Cao, but he acts more like a spoiled brat. Everytime I play with him I start to see him as a cleptomaniac sometimes and this is weird, because I don't get that with any other character O_O;

Well, besides Zhang Jiao protesting with a megaphone. But that is harmless XD

Cao Pi's lines are something like a "I steal the way my father talks" thing for me. I find that quite annoying. Even more than Xiao Qiao giggling and Zhang Jiao praising the Heavens o.o

i actually never thought about it like this. though i think most of us agree that cao pi is not his father, dispite how much he wants to prove otherwise
Ding Feng/Sun Shang Xiang is my new one true crack pairing XD (thank you ROT3KXI)
Xu Huang fan
Langzhong

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:26 am

Definitely Xiao Qiao. I think there's a stage in dw7xl where Zhang Liao perfectly expresses my thoughts: Who let the little girl on the battlefield? Is this some kind of a joke? Seriously, seeing Xiao Qiao destroying likes of Lu Bu is just...wrong. Listening to her is even worse.
Retired...
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:45 am

Xiao Qiao is the worst. But I dislike Sun Quan even more than her because at least Xiao Qiao isn't so major.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:50 am

If we're talking about embarrassing characters then I've got to give it to Li Dian. I love the guy, he's a really likeable and funny character! There's no doubt that some of his lines just make me wanna facepalm and how awkward and goofy he is at times, I love it though, makes his character memorable and unique :P
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training