Most embarrassing character

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Most cringeworthy...

Cow Pee... uh, Cao Pi
3%
Ma "eat my justice" Chao
9%
*giggle* Xiao *gigglegiggle* Qiao *giggle*
18%
Zhang Jiao... oh Heavvvvveeeeennnnnssss!
20%
Zhuge Liang---he MEANT to be that way...
1%
La Vita di Zhang He e bella!
34%
Others (explain!)
14%

Total votes : 134

Re: Most embarrassing character

Unread postby WindScene » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:05 pm

Zhang He, lol. He keep saying beauty, beauty and beauty.
WindScene
Tyro

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:44 pm

Something that surprised me recently and didn't want to create a new thread.

I generally thought, in the west, that Liu Shan was a popular add once people saw/played him. I knew his being added divided people, some of us (like myself and Xu Yuan) were delighted/hoping, others were angry at the dimsum eating surrender monkey getting added. However once people finished 7, the reactions I saw tended to be on the lines of AWESOME! or actual praise of koei for going in an unexpected direction.

However when reading through a "least favourite character" thread elsewhere, I was surprised at the amount of mentions for Liu Shan. I'm still not entirely sure why, whether some novel overshadow or if the character doesn't gel for some, but seems for many that Liu Shan would be their pick for this sort of thread. Would love to know why people dislike him and what makes him so divisive a character
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Xu Huang fan » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:20 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Something that surprised me recently and didn't want to create a new thread.

I generally thought, in the west, that Liu Shan was a popular add once people saw/played him. I knew his being added divided people, some of us (like myself and Xu Yuan) were delighted/hoping, others were angry at the dimsum eating surrender monkey getting added. However once people finished 7, the reactions I saw tended to be on the lines of AWESOME! or actual praise of koei for going in an unexpected direction.

However when reading through a "least favourite character" thread elsewhere, I was surprised at the amount of mentions for Liu Shan. I'm still not entirely sure why, whether some novel overshadow or if the character doesn't gel for some, but seems for many that Liu Shan would be their pick for this sort of thread. Would love to know why people dislike him and what makes him so divisive a character

fun fact, in Japan Liu Shan is more popular then Liu Bei (Shan is 50th ranked while Bei is 55th)

the way i see it there was no way Shu was going to last much longer since Jiang Wei messed up Shu's natural defensive point and Deng Ai was knocking at Cheng Du's doors, so his surrender is perfectly logical and as a bonus the people no longer had to suffer (atleast until the next civil war, but that's out of liu shan's control)

i know some people dislike him because of 'Muh Shu" who would like Jiang Wei more for that "Never say Die, Never give up" attitude which is respectable, but in the end cost'd him everything.
Ding Feng/Sun Shang Xiang is my new one true crack pairing XD (thank you ROT3KXI)
Xu Huang fan
Langzhong

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:31 pm

I'm surprised Liu Bei virtue pants is so low, let alone Liu Shan above him.

While I think Liu Shan did the right thing on the surrender (whatever ones views on his reign), the novel does an excellent hachet job to the point his childhood name becomes an insult. However I thought that idea was having less of a hold in the west and that DW did a pretty good job taking it on and turning it to Jiang Wei being the bad guy
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Xu Huang fan » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:39 pm

yeah i'm surprised that Koei did a good job at making Liu Shan likeable while turning around Jiang Wei into a delusional follower of zhuge. if you want a big surprise i'll link to the poll results http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/ ... &t=7093742

things to notice

out of the 3 kingdom rulers Cao Cao is the most popular

the sun family out side of shang xiang is rather unpopular.

the peach garden oath brothers are also unpopular.

and nobody cares about Huang Gai

and people like Dong Zhuo more then Sun Jian

and that Guan suo is rated really low, which pleases me cause i always viewed him as that self insert gary stu who somehow snuck into the novel in the later editions of it.
Ding Feng/Sun Shang Xiang is my new one true crack pairing XD (thank you ROT3KXI)
Xu Huang fan
Langzhong

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:23 pm

Xu Huang fan wrote:

I don't take this insult likely, how can Sun Ce be unpopular :cry:
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xu Huang fan » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:20 am

Sun Fin wrote:
Xu Huang fan wrote:

I don't take this insult likely, how can Sun Ce be unpopular :cry:

i honestly have no idea because i like the guy alot.(though remember this is japan we're talking about) Sun Ce is 44th, while that doesn't mean he's completely liked, he's not someone they worship as a boyfriend like the higher ranked guys.

granted its actually around the 40th rank (Lian Shi) where the fans stop outweighing the people who don't care about them.

I do know that in the west Sun Ce is alot more popular then in Japan and remains the most popular sun family member (use to be shang xiang but westerns didn't like what she's became)
Xu Huang fan
Langzhong

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:45 pm

Point by point

-Well Cao Cao is awesomesauce

-Sun Quan (partly being turned into Mr Blandville, only starting to really be pushed forward in 7, Jing) being unpopular makes sense but the others? Sun Jian has always seemed fairly nice and enjoyable when around and Sun Ce is usually a lot of fun. I'm glad SSX has been taken back from the "must assert I'm a strong woman every five seconds" issue, enjoyed her in 7.

-That does surprise me, particularly given the adds they seem to want are highly Guan related and the whole culture thing. I actually like Guan Yu and Zhang Fei has been a Shu favourite of mine.

-I can see that, fairly bland figure in the games. Hate the recent looks he has got though quite like him

-Dong Z has not been the best villain, too underpowered. Ahead of Sun Jian? :?

-Guan Suo isn't too bad, seems a nice figure. At least in 7
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Xu Huang fan » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:40 pm

compaired to the DW7 poll, zhao yun was retaken the 1st spot from wang yuanji,

and xiahou dun who was third, dropped down to 9th (maybe its the hair?) below is taken from another post on another fourm.

"The character poll from DW7 isn't that much different from this one. Ling Tong, Ma Chao, and Zhang Liao are the only top 10 characters from DW7 that didn't get into the top 10 for DW8. However, Ling Tong and Zhang Liao are still in the top 20, while Ma Chao fell all the way to 22 (and Ma Dai climbed up even higher).

-Daqiao (25) is ranked way higher than her sister, Xiaoqiao (47). I guess they really are different characters now...

-Bao Sanniang and Cai Wenji are pretty notable for being practically irrelevant to the three kingdoms stories. Yet Cai Wenji is at 31 and Bao is at 41, beating the likes of western favorites such as Gan Ning, Zhou Yu, and Zhou Tai."

might post the other polls like "best boyfriend/girlfriend, best boss, best friend, etc etc"
Xu Huang fan
Langzhong

Unread postby DragonAtma » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:42 pm

Don't forget Best Generic; it may give some ideas who should be added.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training