Favourite DW Character..

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Favourite DW Character..

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:48 pm

I played all the dw games and wo games except dw3xl and dw8xl.
1. Xiahou Dun. Most favourite character since dw2, atlhough the dw3 english voice acting was absolutely terrible and the dw6 design wasn't great either. I still can't decide whether I prefer english va or the original one as I believe Kirk does amazing job in showing Dun's short temper, much better than Kazuya Nakai imo. However the japanese va is just plain badass.
2. Jia Xu. You just have to like this guy. The VA is absolutely great, the personality is great. He's smart and he knows it but shows no signs of arrogance or overconfidence unlike the likes of Zhuge Liang. I really don't like his DW7/8 moveset except for musou but his personality makes me enjoy controlling him on the battllefield. Gotta love his humour as well.
3. Zhong Hui. As stated in the previous post this is Zhang He done right. I especially like him complaining to Sima Yi after the relevant stage in dw8.
4. Cao Cao. As stated by Guo Jia in DW8 cut scene 'don't worry, he knows what he is doing'. Being a Weist I never viewed Mengde as antihero regardless of how hard KOEI tried to convince me in early games. Douglas Rye does a great job in voice acting. I really don't like the japanese va though. Cao Cao's final scene in dw7 was quite emotional for me even though I rarely get immersed in video games.
5. Guo Jia probably...I always wanted Guo Jia playable especially after DT2, but I really was disappointed with his joke weapon. His personality also didn't impress me as I expected him to be more like Jia Xu. It was only after the intro in the Xia Pi stage that I start to like him.
Retired...
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby mendedties » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:53 am

atlhough the dw3 english voice acting was absolutely terrible

Really? His voice in dw3 is possibly my favorite voice acting job in the installments of the series I have played across all characters, with the exception of Sun Quan in dw5. Then again I began my dynasty warriors career at 3.

Dun was one of my favorites in 3, but in 5, idk... something just doesn't quite work for me. I think it must be slight changes in the aesthetics here and there that for some reason dampen his vibe for me--even with his final model. I really can't put a finger on what it is.
“I think we delight to praise what we enjoy because the praise not merely expresses but completes the enjoyment; it is its appointed consummation." -- C.S. Lewis
mendedties
Assistant

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:32 pm

Realized I had 1) failed to do Others (again up to and including DW7XL) and 2) failed to respond to Jordan's post

Others
1) Diao Chan. Sweet, nice and sometimes cunning, hints of even a little bit of evil in 7 (which they then rubbed it in XL). Her storylines have tended to put her different roles which has helped and has the best long running romance in the series.
2) Zhu Rong: Hate her costumes but a strong powerful figure, a little exotic and smoothed by her genuine love for her husband,
3) Meng Huo: Sweet, loveable if sometimes a little annoying.
4) Lu Bu: Stronger a character in DT games and without Diao Chan, would probably be a bit bland as she really opens him into something more.
5) Zhang Jiao: Leaps up due to 7, had been a little annoying and tended to his movesets. Yet 7 found a brilliant role for him to foreshadow events.
6) Yuan Shao: Erratic, sometimes entertainingly arrogant with a sense of flamboyance, other times a little annoying. Enjoyed him in 7 but hated his end
7) Dong Z: Never had the oomph to be a great villain, one or two nice moments (usually involving Diao Chan).
8) Zuo Ci: His card moveset was fun but their use of a potentially neutral figure was annoying.

Zhang Jiao shows that, when koei decide to do something with an other character, they can do it well and it will push the bottom half up. Yet those in the bottom half of the list are often ignored and not given a chance to shine most of the time. The top 4 are the lovebirds and perhaps that romances have meant koei concentrated on them more then the rest of the other characters

Jordan wrote:Cao Shuang-YOU MEAN MY CAVORTING AND SCREWING AROUND ISN'T WHAT THIS KINGDOM NEEDS?

It is what every kingdom needs! That was funny

Guan Yu-Guan Yu is a perpetually good character and always will be. He's a god of warriors and has a real intimidating presence in all the DW games. His weapon and design are just iconic as well. His voice is great too.

That is where I think koei really makes him shine.

You don't like Sun Ce or Sun Jian Jordan?
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Xu Yuan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:17 am

I was legitimately surprised to see them going with the "The Shu-Wu alliance died because of Guan Yu!" angle in DW8. Lu Meng specifically blames Guan Yu for his arrogance and that being the reason that this all came to pass. I think he has an interesting amount of potential moving forward. His character has always been stand out but he seems to be getting stronger in terms of purpose and plot-relation. DW7 really plays up the "Guan Yu is Lord of Jing" angle from all sides and this was slightly diminished in 8 (I think too many fans complained about too much focus on Guan Yu or something...).

That said, I don't think I've ever done a list like this...

I enjoy all of DW's characters all for various reasons and can't think of one I genuinely dislike. Sure I can think of dozens that could use some improvement, but no one that I will outright ignore because I dislike them as a character.

I'll have to think on this... my all time favorite character for the moment is Jia Xu (still a dream come true that he's Finally in the game!) but when Xun Yu is inevitably added he will likely supplant the always-perfect strategist.
As you know security
is mortal's greatest enemy.

SimRTK is back up in a testing phase! Go ahead and give it a look over on the Simzhou forum branch.

http://simrtk.net/index.php
Xu Yuan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Myan Ling » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:01 am

In
Shu; Zhao Yun, he's the last stood officer of one of the five great generals of shu.

Wu; Sun Shangxiang, she is very brave unlike a weak woman. And saying ' who says the woman has to be weak ? '

Wei; Xiahou Dun, he's the most reliable officer for Wei.

Other; Lu Bu, although he wasn't in the side of honour, he was the greatest warrior at that time. Among men Lu Bu.

Please forgive me if my words contain wrong facts or it annoy you. Love you all , my friends.
Myan Ling
Tyro

Unread postby LordSimaYi » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:08 pm

Sima Yi!

Personally I hate everyone from Shu.
LordSimaYi
Student

Unread postby SunXia » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:05 am

My favorite character is still my beloved Sun Shang Xiang, even when they destroyed her personality in DW6, she was still my favorite because I still fondly remember the good old days!!

She returned to her usual tough, self in DW7 with one main objection, the revealing clothes but that seems to be a condition added on to all the females in game!! I bought the previous games outfits and now have them running around in DW4 outfits, except Zhen Ji, I loved her alluring dress in 6!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby capricornkid28 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:51 pm

Ranked by kingdom. I didn't include any of the Others, nor did I include newly added characters in DW8:XL. This ranking is based on their personality as performed on the English dub.

Zhang Liao
Pang De
Xu Huang
Xiahou Dun
Guo Jia
Wang Yi
Jia Xu
Li Dian
Yue Jin
Xiahou Yuan
Cao Ren
Zhenji
Cai Wenji
Cao Cao
Cao Pi
Zhang He
Dian Wei
Xu Zhu

Sun Ce
Lu Meng
Lu Su
Taishi Ci
Sun Shanxiang
Han Dang
Daqiao
Xiaoqiao
Sun Jian
Sun Quan
Gan Ning
Ling Tong
Lianshi
Zhou Tai
Ding Feng
Zhou Yu
Lu Xun
Huang Gai

Ma Dai
Pang Tong
Zhuge Liang
Xu Shu
Jiang Wei
Yueying
Huang Zhong
Zhao Yun
Guan Yu
Zhang Fei
Liu Bei
Ma Chao
Bao Sanniang
Wei Yan
All children of the three brothers

Zhang Chunhua
Sima Yi
Deng Ai
Wang Yuanji
Jia Chong
Xiahou Ba
Wen Yang
Zhong Hui
Sima Shi
Sima Zhao
Zhuge Dan
Guo Huai
capricornkid28
Apprentice

Unread postby Jordan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:02 am

You don't like Sun Ce or Sun Jian Jordan?

I feel like they don't do anything with them that's particularly meaningful. Part of the problem is that they lack a good adversary because Dynasty Warriors doesn't really do much with Sun Ce's rivals, with Liu Biao or with other historic enemies of the Sun family. I kind of like Sun Jian just by virtue of him being Sun Jian but I've never really liked DW's Sun Ce.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:44 am

That's a good point Slick!! A lot of their battles are not meaningful as they don't come into the Big Three until Chibi so yeah we need Liu Biao and Yuan Shu having faces, we have Yuan Shao for no good enough reason other than he gets his butt handed to him at Guan Du!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training