Favourite DW Character..

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Favourite DW Character..

Unread postby mendedties » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:23 am

I've only played 2-6. I was way too young to remember 2, I didn't play much of 4, and well... I will not speak of that thing that was 6...

I did spend an unholy number of hours on both 3 and 5 though, so I can give a list of my favorites from each, in no particular order.

- Lu Bu
- Liu Bei
- Xiahou Dun
- Dian Wei

- Sun Quan
- Cao Ren
- Ling Tong
“I think we delight to praise what we enjoy because the praise not merely expresses but completes the enjoyment; it is its appointed consummation." -- C.S. Lewis
mendedties
Assistant

Unread postby -zhoutai- » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:27 am

mendedties wrote:I've only played 2-6. I was way too young to remember 2, I didn't play much of 4, and well... I will not speak of that thing that was 6...

I did spend an unholy number of hours on both 3 and 5 though, so I can give a list of my favorites from each, in no particular order.

- Lu Bu
- Liu Bei
- Xiahou Dun
- Dian Wei

- Sun Quan
- Cao Ren
- Ling Tong

I've played everything since 2 aside from 7xl, 7 empires and 8xl because I unfortunately, own an xbox :(

Most memorable new character introductions to me were zhou tai (because he was my favourite) and cao ren, because his weapon design, was unique and original.

Honourable mention to zuo ci and his deck of cards.
-zhoutai-
Apprentice

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:29 pm

Ranks based on and up to DW7XL, following Cao Hong 14's idea but with notes

Wei of awesomeness
1. Cao Cao- calm, charismatic, driving force behind Wei.
2) Jia Xu- Clever, aware of what and who he is, a bit of humour. Just so fun with the way he goes about things.
3) Xiahou Dun-A mainstay, a powerful force who links up well with others.
4) Dian Wei- Slightly too stupid in 7 but powerful, increasingly warm and loyal.
5) Xiahou Yuan. 7 made me a fan, I could see why some at simrtk loved him with his humour and kindness.
6) Xu Zhu: Would have been bottom 3 before 7, irritating figure. Was a major part of Wei, a kindly heart in 7.
7) Zhang Liao-A Guan Yu like figure where less about him, more about being a big boss with flaring fire around him.
8) Guo Jia- Didn't quite click but playboy, friendly style but serious side underneath showed signs of promise and moving end.
9) Cai Wenji: Seemed to have no idea what to do with her. She seems nice actually but needs to be involved before she can climb the list.
10) Cao Ren- Once would have been higher but alas, that weary peace loving warrior has been ignored to something more simple in recent games.
11) Zhen Ji: Once a favourite, a classy cold lady. Now with increasingly revealing clothing with her romance not helping her. So high due to old memories.
12) Wang Yi- I see the potential. Barely had any room in XL to be fair.
13) Pang De- Bland and uninteresting though 7xl showed signs of life.
14) Xu Huang- Bland and uninteresting.
15) Cao Pi- Never clicked for me and dislike him somewhat.
16) Zhang He- Once brilliant figure, a colourful and entertaining, even a little chilling, figure. While the actor part was intresting in 7, become a joke.

Only 2 hates, only top 6 I feel strongly for at the moment. A lot of DW Wei figures I kinda like or find bland, so allowing big jumps for revitalized/new figures, one or two figures showing promise or once were strong but dropped down. Koei does well to create a strong Wei atmosphere though

Wu loves fire
1) Sun Ce- Various incarnations but generally fun and charismatic. 7 was perhaps one of his weakest
2) SSX- Loved her, annoyed when she was overegged as the feminist warrior, loved her in 7. At her best, such fun.
3) Sun Jian- Fatherly, charismatic figure who has grown in recent games
4) Ding Feng- His poetry was a rare spark in the worst areas of the Wu story. Lovely turn of phrase
5) Ling Tong-Growing to quite like his easy manner and charm
6) Lian Shi- Bland by herself but linking up with others in 7 overcame that and enjoyed her role.
7) Huang Gai- Partly for old safe, the fatherly figure has faded a bit and I hate the recent costume/hair.
8) Zhou Tai- Nice enough but is a figure that needs a big role to avoid seeming bland.
9) Zhou Yu- Once liked him, handsome, intelligent and with a dash of charisma but become increasingly bland
10) Lu Xun- Never really liked him much. Decent enough fellow but only a smattering of liking him.
11) Lu Meng- Tended to be squeezed out by his rivals, starting to grow into his own but not quite clicking.
12) Sun Quan - Bland from blandville up due to 7 but was a major hindrance to story as well.
13) Da Qiao- At her best, her being uneasy at war works well but can be annoying.
14) Taischi Ci- Meh
15) Xiao Qiao- Quite a fun amusing figure when it gets it right. Far too often gets it wrong
16) Gan Ning- Once a highlight of Wu with his spiky, carefree ways. Now annoys me a lot.

Very much early key figures plus one or two generals, too many bland or underused figures in the mid era and one that badly needs to find his way back.

My beloved *cough* Shu
1) Liu Shan- Warm, funny, all round awesomesuace.
2) Pang Tong- Traditionally offered the humour outlet though 7 was his weakest display.
3) Zhang Fei- Warm beneath the foolishness, adds humour and hard not to like.
4) Xing Cai- The way she reacts to Liu Shan and her father really gave her lift off, was nice enough before.
5) Zhao Yun- Bit bland and white knight but a decent bloke and human niceness warms me to him
6) Zhuge Liang- Can see why he annoys others, does his role well enough and doesn't irritate me.
7) Guan Yu- Would have been higher in the past as he was a nice bloke but now become a big boss figure. Which he does well.
8) Yue Ying- At first, was a very enjoyable add but like Cao Ren, koei has lost what made her work so well.
9) BSN- Quickly warmed to her, an amusing character but one that koei clearly didn't think through.
10) Jiang Wei- Hard to know where to place him. Once near bottom for being flare-wearing Zhuge Liang worshipper but latter era has made him a flawed figure. Still a little irritating at times
11) Guan Suo- Charming young man. Just as long as he doesn't bring up his father
12) Ma Dai - Can see what they tried, never clicked.
13) Guan Ping- Annoyed me at first then became a decent young chap. Badly used and badly planned
14) Huang Zhong- His old man schtick has gotten tired.
15) Wei Yan- Schitck was once charming and made him stand out, now it is annoying.
16) Ma Chao- Became a joke character. Fun to fight with and all but justice justice justice. Signs in 7 are promising.
17) Liu Bei- Past games might have seen him a few places above. 7 outside Shu might have seen him high up. My god he sucked for most of 7's story. Propaganda robot with no brain

Seems like once established, figures in Shu mostly stay where they are. Two have declined as games grown on, one started brilliantly then got ignored, one was soul destroying in 7. Latter era naturally boosted 2 characters. Unsurprisingly, the humour and warm humane characters are the ones top of my list.

The new Jin
1) Zhong Hui- Just so fabolous. Well done koei, can't have been easy to make him so fun.
2) Sima Zhao- I can see how he annoys others but I enjoy his lazy side. Doesn't easily transition to Mr serious
3) Wang Yuanji- Could easily be second, the two of them make a fantastic combo.
4) Sima Shi- I like him well enough, does well to shine given similarities to father.
6) Sima Yi- Could easily take over Shi's position, Jin and having family perhaps helped move him away from increasingly panto villain.
7) Xiahou Ba- Nice if underused bloke.
8) Zhuge Dan- One seemingly sexist comment, loses brains for final battle opening cutscene, couldn't warm to him at all.
9) Guo Huai- Feared when I saw his image that they would flog his illness into the ground. That and the drama queen aspect made me dislike him.

No clever comment but as to be expected, Sima's doing well.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby mendedties » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:44 pm

Good glob this thread is making me wish I had my PS2 with me. I'll have to pick it up when I go back home for Christmas. I so want to play 3 and 5 right now...
“I think we delight to praise what we enjoy because the praise not merely expresses but completes the enjoyment; it is its appointed consummation." -- C.S. Lewis
mendedties
Assistant

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:23 pm

Playing through WO again I'm trying to decide whether my love of Sun Ce came because he was my best character on DW or he became my best character on DW because he was my favourite historical figure so I used him the most. :lol:
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby mendedties » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:43 pm

Sun Fin wrote:Playing through WO again I'm trying to decide whether my love of Sun Ce came because he was my best character on DW or he became my best character on DW because he was my favourite historical figure so I used him the most. :lol:

I loved him in DW3 and 5. Probably a bit more in 5, though I usually opted for his other models/skins when I unlocked them since, in my opinion, his original made him look a bit like a pre-schooler.
mendedties
Assistant

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:20 am

mendedties wrote:
I loved him in DW3 and 5. Probably a bit more in 5, though I usually opted for his other models/skins when I unlocked them since, in my opinion, his original made him look a bit like a pre-schooler.

I haven't played beyond 5 so I can't comment on those variations of him but 5 is my favourite! I've never noticed the pre-schooler thing before, I just like red :lol:
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby mendedties » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:15 pm

I haven't played beyond 5 so I can't comment on those variations of him but 5 is my favourite! I've never noticed the pre-schooler thing before, I just like red :lol:

Go 5! I think the pre-schooler thing is probably just me. Something about the skirt-like thing with the overall-type shirt and the flowing ponytail combine to evoke a schoolgirl for me, haha. I just use his DW4 model though.

I only played up to 6, which in my opinion is a horrendous game (I think many fans consider it the worst one). Incredibly surprisingly, he was one of my favorites in that game too, though. I say surprisingly because they took away his tonfas and gave him a spear with the same moveset as 3 other characters (which was a common feature for the game). I think his character design/personality somehow managed to outshine that.
mendedties
Assistant

Unread postby SunXia » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:12 pm

They have definitely improved on the weapons in DW8!!

In DW7 there were a lot of characters with the "Spear" or the "Sword" but in the newest game they've made distinct weapons so while many are swords they are unique swords!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Jordan » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:42 am

I'll do something similar as Dong Zhou's:

Wei Likes:

Cao Cao-He's awesome every game but has become better in recent games because he's become something of a sympathetic villain or subtly heroic anti-hero.

Xiahou Yuan-He sucked hard in earlier games and became awesome in DW7.

Jia Xu-I love his smartass personality. This character is just hilarious, which is perfect in light of how awesome the historical Jia Xu was.

Guo Jia-I don't like his design but I like his personality a lot.

Cao Shuang-YOU MEAN MY CAVORTING AND SCREWING AROUND ISN'T WHAT THIS KINGDOM NEEDS?

Wang Yi-Strong independent woman who don't need no man. In all seriousness, an awesome character that feels like an intimidating top warrior.

Wei Dislikes:

Xu Zhu, Zhang He, Zhen Ji: All three of these are joke characters so far as I'm concerned. Zhen Ji could be a good character but instead they ignore her tragic story and make her some kind of love-dovey girlfriend of Cao Pi. Ew.

Cai Wenji-Pointless inclusion in the game so far as I'm concerned. I would have praised her inclusion before, but they just don't do anything with her. They should have just tried something similar to her Kessen 2 version. She was amazing in that game.

Xu Huang-Who?

Shu Likes:

Zhuge Liang-Zhuge Liang is the man. There is just no disliking this guy. He's the paragon of loyalty and brilliant badassness. He always has the right strategy for anything. If he loses, it was just as planned. He is OP.

Liu Shan-Before DW7, I would say that Liu Shan would be the most retarded Shu-Han addition to Dynasty Warriors along with Huang Hao. Koei changed my mind by making him an awesome character with clever motives and justifications.

Jiang Wei-I think he got much better in recent games. Now he actually seems like a flawed, tragic and heroic figure. In earlier games he just came across as a perfect pretty boy and a later-era Zhao Yun. Now he has a real hell of a personality and story behind him, and I love it. He's a great foil to Jin in my opinion.

Xing Cai and Yue Ying-These are female characters that actually feel like they contribute to the DW universe and do meaningful things. I've always liked Xing Cai in this series because she feels like a badass and meaningful character. Yue Ying varies with the games but she generally comes across as a quite competent, intelligent character. I liked her old designs better than the newer ones though.

Zhang Fei-Zhang Fei's vulgar, violent, humorous and badass personality is always great. His stand at Changban is awesome and the character himself is just a classic.

Guan Yu-Guan Yu is a perpetually good character and always will be. He's a god of warriors and has a real intimidating presence in all the DW games. His weapon and design are just iconic as well. His voice is great too.

I really like Shu-Han in these games.

Shu Dislikes:

Guan Anything Else-I don't care about Guan Yu's family. They all suck.

Bao Sanniang-An absolute disaster of a character. She is grating, stupid and completely frivolous.

Pang Tong-He used to be my favorite character but in later games they give him more and more retarded designs while also making him feel more and more pointless. At this point it doesn't really feel like he has any purpose in the series.

Wu Likes:

Huang Gai-Boy has this character changed. He used to be such a boring and lame piece of crap. Nowadays he has a really fiery and hilarious personality. I love how he's some kind of wrestler and I appreciate the jokes and badassness he brings to the table.

Gan Ning-Gan Ning has an awesome personality and role in all of the dynasty warriors games. He's a character I have always really liked.

SSX-Another great female character though it varies depending on the game. I liked her old designs better though. She used to be one of my favorites.

Ding Feng-Imo the best addition for Wu in Dynasty Warriors. He has a really serious and deep take on things. He also feels like one of the few good Wu foils to Jin, which is highly important to the overall plot.

Zhuge Ke-Why haven't they added Zhuge Ke?

Lu Kang-Why haven't they added Lu Kang?

Wu Dislikes:

I want to just say everybody I didn't list. They're all boring as hell. Koei doesn't seem to know what to do with Wu or how to make Wu seem meaningful. I kinda like Sun Quan in recent games because they put a spin on his importance vis-a-vis the other two kingdoms, but he still seems kinda...insignificant. The most continually disappointing of all the Wu characters for me is Lu Xun. He's one of my favorite generals historically but I absolutely despise the boy-wonder bullshit they force upon him in Dynasty Warriors. In DW he is just so lame and devoid of personality or purpose. Blah.

Jin Likes:

Zhong Hui-Probably one of my favorite new characters. I love his flamboyant personality, brilliance and arrogance. He is kind of like the old Yuan Shao but better. He is fabulous done right, unlike Zhang He.

Sima Yi-Awesome, ambitious and amoral. Sima Yi is not a figure I highly regard historically but he makes for great character material in Dynasty Warriors and has become one of my favorites.

Zhuge Dan-I really like how he's a serious try-hard with major flaws and a hatred of Sima Zhao. That made him one of my favorite characters because they built a good story around him.

Jin Dislikes:

Nobody. I seriously like all the characters they added for "Jin." I think they all contribute meaningfully to the game.

Other: I don't like what they've done with Yuan Shao and Dong Zhuo in recent games. I think Lu Bu, the Nanman and the Yellow Turbans are still great though. I feel like the "other" category is where they should add the most officers in new entries to the series. The likes of Yuan Shu, Gongsun Zan, Zhang Lu, etc. would really improve the story in my opinion. I like Gongsun Zan and Yuan Shu especially because they would flesh out Wu, which always feels poorly developed in DW. They could even consider adding Gongsun Yuan.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training