Are DW/RTK Games Educational (Research Poll and Discussion)

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Do you find the DW/RTK games educational?

Yes, I know the Three Kingdoms inside and out
36%
Yes, I have learnt a fair bit
61%
Know a few characters and stages but that is all
3%
No, I just play the game. Don't really care about the RTK
No votes

Total votes : 36

Unread postby Shadowlink » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:29 pm

Kustin wrote:
Shadowlink wrote:i know a few characters and stages, at least they are trying to make it more historcal. dw4 wasnt good at all, i mean dong zhuo was alive, 2 qiao stages, nanman for wu, that was not historical at all

About Dong Zhuo, he did escape and burn down Luo Yang. The assassination of Lu Bu was also true, but not by breaking through the guards but it was all a plot.
no i mean the level of dw4 where dong zhuo is alive and he is holding the 2 qiaos, and ddong zhuo is alive and he is taking to take down wu with the nanmans, and for lu bu he never really went into the palace to kill dong zhuo, he killed him outside of it
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Davey Vengeance » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:55 pm

The presentation went well and my tutor was pleased I put this question forward. It seems that more people have played DW and learn a few basic things and then felt inspired to look further and uncover the real truth of certain characters and events from the TK.

By all mean continue discussing. My mission withmy games pitch was to create a game which has real educational value whilst still being fun to play. Much like DW.
Forever X

Like Suikoden? Like RPing?
Then please come and join us at CASTLE NORTH WIND
Say Belcoot sent you...see you there. :)
Davey Vengeance
Scholar of Darkness

Unread postby Jordan » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:15 pm

I also think historically-based games, with some amount of fictional plot and fictionalization, in general are good. One thing that's great about them is that you already have a story to build off of and thus you don't need to create your own from scratch. This generally makes the storyline better in my opinion because sometimes it's difficult to be entirely creative and original. Storyline is a semi-important aspect of games; it's always good to have an engaging plot, especially in things like RPGs. Even if it's fictional a little, you can still learn a bit from DW. It's true that Wu defeated Shu at Yiling with a fire attack and many of the personalities in the game are semi-accurate, even if they are largely based on the book. History in any case can be really interesting and sometimes games and other fun stuff can get you curious about it. If the historical period chosen for a game is interesting enough and the game had good enough gameplay then a great quality game can be produced.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mei Zhen » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:37 pm

The educational value derived from DW and other history-based games, like Age of Empires, is largely up to the player. While some players are curious and will read the Encyclopedia and/or the manuals, sometimes people are content with just playing the game and not worrying about any of the details of the backstory. As for the educational value of the gameplay itself, it isn't something that strikes me as particularly accurate or educational, though SlickSlicer is correct in saying that if anything, playing DW makes the Three Kingdoms period relevant, interesting and 'cool' again. This could lead to off-game research and maybe even reading (*gasp*), which would in fact be educational.

As for the fictional scenarios, when one makes a game based in a historical framework, that's always a fear - you may run out of source material with which to keep the series going and interesting (without making a clone of the last game). I personally don't mind the 'fictional' scenarios much, but I would however be disappointed if one of the 'big events' didn't make it to the next DW (imagine Dynasty Warriors with no Chi Bi - that would be unthinkable!)
"In a modern culture
My friend you must be careful
They've a million ways to kill you

In this dangerous world
There’s an art to growing old
Taking chances
Magic happens"
- Garbage, Breaking Up the Girl
Mei Zhen
Lost in Quotation

Unread postby SunXia » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:16 pm

The gameplay has a lot of unrealistic qualities, yet they make it fun!! The gameplay made me really enjoy playing the game and as I first started unlocking all the characters I became interested in them, really more so when I realised it was based on events from ancient China, and I love history so its brilliant learning all these things!! If they keep the big events in the game, Like Mei Zhen said, then it would be ok to play a bit with the story, just to keep the players interested, because, personally, I enjoy different stories, and romance and stuff!! It chould include more cutscenes because I'd like to think that if in battle like in DW, and you help an ally, I'd hope that he'd thank you, or greet you!! I don't mind the fact they all look and talk like americans as I can't speak chinese nor japanese so it would be of little use to me!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Lordyuanshu » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:37 pm

There are bits of knowledge in DW but if you solely base your interpretation of Romance of the Three Kingdoms on DW then it's going to be pretty inaccurate.

You might learn a thing or two but you could just read the book instead and gain a wholesome knowledge of the topic, that'd be much more efficient than spending 100 hours killing virtual people and learning some real events and some fake events. DW is misleading in a lot of aspects so I'd say no, it should not be deemed educational, but it can illicit interest and further research into the subject.
Lordyuanshu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:47 pm

Nobody is saying its the educational base of the RoTK period.

However, having never heard of the era before and being a gamer and history student, I played DW and got interested in the era!! That way, it is educational...For some!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Unread postby Lordyuanshu » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:53 pm

Yes Sun Xia, I agree, that was part of my "but it can illicit interest and further research into the subject" argument. Glad to hear that was the case for you.
Lordyuanshu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:00 pm

Sorry!! :oops:
It just happened this way for my brothers and me!

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Unread postby Jordan » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:46 pm

SunXia wrote:Sorry!! :oops:
It just happened this way for my brothers and me!

Why are you apologizing? That's how I got interested too. :?
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training