What Is Your Kingdom Allegiance

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Favorite Kingdom

Shu
39%
Wu
22%
Wei
22%
Nanman
3%
Way of Peace
4%
Dong Zhuo
No votes
Lu Bu
10%

Total votes : 105

Re: What Is Your Kingdom Allegiance

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:44 pm

Shu I think, but early Wu (as in pre-Wu Wu if thay makes sense).
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Rydain » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:51 pm

Wei. Historically, the kingdom was a powerhouse of military and leadership might that made great strides toward stability. Cao Cao overhauled the government, provided for the people with projects like agriculture reform, and was a stickler about merit-based rewards as opposed to letting people skate by on nepotism. He was ruthless and paranoid in some regards, but I believe his head was generally in the right place. Cao Cao had anti-classist tendencies, and he made effective use of impressive military leaders - Cao Ren, Xiahou Yuan, Xu Huang, Zhang Liao, etc.

In the Dynasty Warriors gameverse, I saw Wei as neutral rather than villainous. DW5 never explains why Cao Cao's ambition is supposed to be bad, especially because some characters view it as having the upside of ending the chaos. In DW6, he leaves the land to his subordinates - hardly the picture of an iron-fisted tyrant. Furthermore, I was fond of Wei from the get go because it had an entertaining assortment of badasses, honorable types, and colorful characters like Zhang He. That also made it difficult for me to see them as bad guys. The characters I knew well seemed to have good heads on their shoulders.
Rydain
Assistant

Unread postby Le Loup » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:01 am

Wei because it has the amazing Zhang Liao; one of the 5 Tiger Generals!!! Probly my overall favourite character too!
Time. Time is an artificial construct. An arbitrary system based on the idea that events occur in a linear direction at all times. Always forward, never back. Is the concept of time correct? Is time relevant?
Le Loup
Tyro

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:22 am

Wei.

I just have a special sort of bond with Cao Cao and his officers. They were not evil and they had the strongest ruler and best officers of the time. They can obviously boast about their accomplishments more than wu or shu.
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby mrbeate » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:47 am

In the Dw games before Dw6 I thought of the kingdoms in this manner -

Wei - Evil
Shu - Good
Wu - Neutral

Though i chose Shu, i think i would've served Wei. Well, i don't want to serve Wei but want to serve Cao Cao. If i were to serve a kingdom after Cao Cao's death, i think i would've chosen Shu. I dislike the idea of serving Wu, because Sun Quan killed off many officers and people so that his heir wouldn't have problems. Who knows, i might be executed.
Smoke, drink, relieve my stress
mrbeate
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zappa » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Le Loup wrote:Wei because it has the amazing Zhang Liao; one of the 5 Tiger Generals!!! Probly my overall favourite character too!

5 tiger generals= Shu or?
As the world changes,war comes and goes and with it might,wealth,right,freedom and land changes its owner,however the only thing that will always remain is the death,that comes with it.
Zappa
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:49 am

wei had a top 5 generals but shu was the one with the 5 tiger generals. and by the way the 5 generals of wei weren't called the top 5 back then but they did call the shu generals the 5 tiger generals.At least I'm pretty suer thats how it was.
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Awesomeness008 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:23 pm

That's what they're referred to as now, and I believe in the book they were given a similar title as well. Although, I read somewhere that historically there was now official group known as the "Five Tiger Generals", and that those officers were just known to be trustworthy and powerful.
Awesomeness008
Initiate

Unread postby Rydain » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:50 pm

Word is unclear on any historical basis for the Five Tiger Generals of Shu named in ROTK. Liu Bei never recognized them, but Liu Shan may have. The Five Generals of Wei came from the Sanguozhi, as explained by the site encyclopedia:

Chen Shou dedicated the scroll, Sanguozhi Wei 17, to these men, and said, “Of all the generals of the period, these five generals can be considered the best of them all.” (時之良將,五子為先). It is unknown if these five men were recognized collectively prior to this point, but this may have been the basis for future recognition that would come in years to follow. Note that this group excludes Cao and Xiahou clansmen, who were featured elsewhere in the Sanguozhi.
Rydain
Assistant

Previous

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training