Most Wanted: New Wei Character in Future DW Games!

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Most Desired Wei Character

Deng Ai
37%
Li Dian
6%
Wang Shuang
1%
Xiahou Ba
1%
Zang Ba
3%
Yu Jin
6%
Yue Jin
8%
One of the missing Caos (Example: Cao Hong, Blonde-Beard)
10%
A new strategist (Example: Jia Xu, Guo Jia)
26%
Other (Please Explain)
3%

Total votes : 185

Re: Most Wanted: New Wei Character in Future DW Games!

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Wed May 19, 2010 2:31 am

[quote][/quoteI don't understand what you're getting at. Are you saying that, simply by adding new playable characters and not tweaking any gameplay mechanics, Koei is suddenly going to make their DW games a whole lot better?

What i'm getting at is that KOEI has got to do more with the next game in the series to please fans. That includes not only new adds but new battles,modes,graphics,voice actings,musou's etc.
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sean » Fri May 21, 2010 11:41 am

Cao Hong 14 wrote:What i'm getting at is that KOEI has got to do more with the next game in the series to please fans. That includes not only new adds but new battles,modes,graphics,voice actings,musou's etc.

The problem isn't the lack of characters, and adding more characters isn't necessarily going to fix it. Just because you add great and new ideas to a game that already has an existing problem won't fix it.

Also, you're coming off as rather condescending when you list things that will magically fix a franchise that is viewed with such mixed opinions from all sorts of gamers.
#sosz @ irc.lunarnet.org
Open 24/7 for discussion. [Please take time zones into consideration.]
Sean
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Sat May 22, 2010 3:34 am

It won't fix the series and personally I believe dw will always be viewed the same way until its end, with mixed views.No matter wat KOEI does I think the series will remain the same in most people's eyes,they either like the series or they don't.every time I read further and further into the book RoTK I support Cao Hong even more as a playable I value him as a playable even more than the likes of Cao Ren,Dian Wei, and Cao Pi.I definitely want to see 5 new playable characters for each kingdom in dw7.
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby mrbeate » Sat May 22, 2010 3:43 am

Cao Hong 14 wrote:I value him as a playable even more than the likes of Cao Ren,Dian Wei, and Cao Pi.I definitely want to see 5 new playable characters for each kingdom in dw7.

Why? I mean all three have distinguished themselves either for being a master at defense(weapon a shield), the ambitious heir of Cao Cao who dethroned the Han Emperor, or being Cao Cao's bodyguard who was famed for his last stand at Wan. Cao Hong never had a moment/feat/skill like this. Was just a average(novel, since DW is loosely based off the novel) general who was a cousin of Cao Cao. He was here and there without doing such a grand feat or known to be anything but a stingy man.

I HIGHLY DOUBT Koei would make 5 new playable characters for each kingdom in the next Dw game. Considering they took out characters in DW6 and cloned half of the characters.
Smoke, drink, relieve my stress
mrbeate
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qu Hui » Sat May 22, 2010 4:08 am

Cao Hong 14 wrote:It won't fix the series and personally I believe dw will always be viewed the same way until its end, with mixed views.

That's true to an extent. For gaming such a view is on a game by game basis. There have been series where the first game is well-loved, then the second is despised, then the third is liked, etc.

Cao Hong 14 wrote:No matter wat KOEI does I think the series will remain the same in most people's eyes,they either like the series or they don't.

This is most likely true, as it is with every other famous game series.

Cao Hong 14 wrote:every time I read further and further into the book RoTK I support Cao Hong even more as a playable I value him as a playable even more than the likes of Cao Ren,Dian Wei, and Cao Pi.I definitely want to see 5 new playable characters for each kingdom in dw7.

As I and others have stated before, Cao Hong wouldn't be a good choice. He has a lack of events, relations and personality and just wasn't important enough.

You seem to be implying, and even outright saying, that as a fan your wishes for new characters and to an extent other's wishes for new characters, are more important than whatever else Koei needs to do in order to fix DW. With such broken gameplay to fix, the only reason that Koei should be focusing on characters is to either de-clone them or axe them altogether.
My avatar is Roy from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, as he appears in Fire Emblem: Awakening
Quote of the "Day": "The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." -Neil Gaiman
Qu Hui
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat May 22, 2010 6:40 am

Cao Hong never had a moment/feat/skill like this

Hua Rong, the one where he gives up his horse for Cao Cao
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Sat May 22, 2010 4:10 pm

thanks for kinda backing me up Dong Zhou, Cao Hong had several important battles where Dian Wei had only one and only served wei for around 5 years and Cao Hong served for about 40.Tong Gate, Hua Rong, Guan Du, and Chi Bi just to name a few.
Dian Wei served after Hu Lao and before xia pi so really had only one battle, that is awful!!Cao Ren has no distinct personality whereas Cao Hong is stingy,greedy and snobby. I can picture his lines being something like this:

another enemy bows before the mighty Cao Hong!
you're not even worth my time!
another worthless attempt to slay the great Cao Hong!

Cao Ren's(so boring):
enemy officer defeated!

You see now! Cao Hong has a real new personality and would be a great addition to roster, I like dw series just like it was in dw5 so if they take it back to that with new characters thats all I ask for.
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qu Hui » Sat May 22, 2010 7:19 pm

Cao Hong 14 wrote:thanks for kinda backing me up Dong Zhou, Cao Hong had several important battles where Dian Wei had only one and only served wei for around 5 years and Cao Hong served for about 40.Tong Gate, Hua Rong, Guan Du, and Chi Bi just to name a few.

Historically, out of those battles, Cao Hong participated only in the battle of Huarong.

Cao Hong 14 wrote:Dian Wei served after Hu Lao and before xia pi so really had only one battle, that is awful!!

The said could be said about Cao Hong. He served for many years but only had an important part in one.

Cao Hong 14 wrote:Cao Ren has no distinct personality whereas Cao Hong is stingy,greedy and snobby. I can picture his lines being something like this:

Really, the only aspect of Cao Hong's personality that is ever apparant is his greed, which isn't really a good sole base for a personality.
My avatar is Roy from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, as he appears in Fire Emblem: Awakening
Quote of the "Day": "The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." -Neil Gaiman
Qu Hui
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Rydain » Sat May 22, 2010 7:22 pm

Cao Hong 14 wrote:Cao Ren has no distinct personality whereas Cao Hong is stingy,greedy and snobby.
Cao Ren's(so boring):
enemy officer defeated!

As I've said elsewhere, Cao Ren does have a distinct personality. He sees war as a necessary evil to bring about peace, and he swallows his distaste to give it his all with as much concern for the little guy as possible. His onscreen presence in DW4 and DW5 is uniquely stalwart and somber. Ren may not have the hotheaded zeal of a guy like Hong, but that hardly means there's nothing to him at all. When developed with enough nuance to set them apart, calm personalities can be quite distinct. And Cao Ren is certainly unique.

Furthermore, a generic enemy officer defeat line - shared by many other characters back in those days - says nothing about the supposed dullness of a character when their personality is shown in detail via cut scenes, speeches, and internal monologue. Cao Ren's DW5 musou mode did all of that quite well, and he also gave pre- and post-battle briefings at Fan.
Rydain
Assistant

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat May 22, 2010 8:48 pm

thanks for kinda backing me up Dong Zhou, Cao Hong had several important battles where Dian Wei had only one and only served wei for around 5 years and Cao Hong served for about 40.Tong Gate, Hua Rong, Guan Du, and Chi Bi just to name a few.

True, Cao Hong has a lot of battles were he does badly or does the equivalent of flip all. Not the greatest idea for an add

Dian Wei's career is short and thus leaves him open as a highly questionable add but it was certainly spectacular in a way Cao Hong's wasn't.

Cao Ren has no distinct personality whereas Cao Hong is stingy,greedy and snobby. I can picture his lines being something like this:

Cao Ren's reputation for defense and calmness was wonderfully tailored by koei and made him a contrast with his rivals. Also Ren=corner stone of Wei, his sheer skill and exploits put him above pretty much everyone Cao. Other then Cao Cao himself

You see now! Cao Hong has a real new personality and would be a great addition to roster, I like dw series just like it was in dw5 so if they take it back to that with new characters thats all I ask for.

not sold on it, sorry
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training