Most Wanted: New Shu Character in Future DW Games!

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Most Wanted: New Shu Character in Future DW Games!

Ma Su
5%
Ma Dai
19%
Guan Xing
6%
Zhang Bao
7%
Wang Ping
7%
Liu Chan
10%
Yang Yi
1%
Chen Shi
1%
Jiang Wan
1%
Fei Yi
No votes
Xiahou Ba
9%
Liu Bei's Wife or any Girl
4%
Other
5%
Liao Hua
24%
Mi Fang or Mi Zhu
2%

Total votes : 180

Re: Most Wanted: New Shu Character in Future DW Games!

Unread postby Qu Hui » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:11 am

Cao Hong 14 wrote:They alerady have 13 for every kingdom and 14 for Wu.

Indeed, and there should not be that many. Most of those characters (Zhang Jiao, Dian Wei, Xu Zhu, Yuan Shao) could perhaps be made into unique NPCs, while others (Guan Ping, the Qiao sisters) could be removed entirely.

Cao Hong 14 wrote:So really thats not that hard, only asking for 15 to 16 adds for whole series by its end.

That's a lot of characters to add, especially for a game series limited by the restraints of the time period they're in.

Cao Hong 14 wrote:dw3 had 11 new adds and it turned out great, plus if they added some of the weapons used in dw6 to the dw5 fighting system it wouldn't be too bad.

Yes, but DW2 only had 28 characters, so there wasn't a lot of room for overlap in terms of weapons and movesets.
My avatar is Roy from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, as he appears in Fire Emblem: Awakening
Quote of the "Day": "The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." -Neil Gaiman
Qu Hui
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:32 am

The only way koei could hope to have so many characters and actually make a game worth anything rather then keep stagnating is then change it to kingdom mode. Even then, when having to deal with new clothes, movesets, personalities, voices, would they have time for more then minor adds? Dw4 suggests that perhaps koei knew they overextended themselves but the uproar meant they changed back in 5 and proved that they had more characters then they could hope to handle. If they couldn't handle 5, we really shouldn't be trying to further add to it

Cut it down to DW3/2 numbers (less if that is what is required for major reform, numbers can go up later) and rotate them is my suggestion. It won't be popular but if the game is a whole lot better, people will return to it
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:02 pm

Qu Hui what you say is mostly true but we know KOEI won't take out more characters and definitely won't just make them unique NPC's.My two main focus's of the series are adding more battles and more characters, I already loved dw series the way it was so I don't see any need to change much.With more battles there will be more room for playables, and my list above showed that KOEI has already done the hard part of thinking up a new weapon that could be used for every character. So if they do something like my list then it should be mostly new stuff and KOEI has always done a good job at new adds and their weapons so I'm not too terribly worried about that.
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:10 pm

Another idea I had was that when dw7 comes out it is split into three games(got the idea from pokemon with there always being pair of same game)a Wu version, Shu version, and wei version. Each game only allows you to play as the kingdom which its entitled,Wu will only be wu, shu will only be shu ect. Each game will have about 25 characters and it will allow it to go more in depth for every kingdom.There will be way more battles concerning each kingdom and it might even be able to go past 234 with this.Plus it would be better for KOEI because fans of the series would have to pay for three games to get the whole next generation of dw, plus overall it makes more characters.
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:20 pm

don't double post

Qu Hui what you say is mostly true but we know KOEI won't take out more characters and definitely won't just make them unique NPC's.My two main focus's of the series are adding more battles and more characters, I already loved dw series the way it was so I don't see any need to change much.With more battles there will be more room for playables, and my list above showed that KOEI has already done the hard part of thinking up a new weapon that could be used for every character. So if they do something like my list then it should be mostly new stuff and KOEI has always done a good job at new adds and their weapons so I'm not too terribly worried about that.

Dw 5, added 5 characters, one of which was a dreadful idea, 3 of which were nice idea's that failed, one a moderate success.

Having more characters and more battles is meaningless if the game isn't good enough and so far, koei has allowed DW to stagnate for too long that 6 was only a sticking plaster on the real problems. There are quite a few getting disillusioned by the game

Another idea I had was that when dw7 comes out it is split into three games(got the idea from pokemon with there always being pair of same game)a Wu version, Shu version, and wei version. Each game only allows you to play as the kingdom which its entitled,Wu will only be wu, shu will only be shu ect. Each game will have about 25 characters and it will allow it to go more in depth for every kingdom.There will be way more battles concerning each kingdom and it might even be able to go past 234 with this.Plus it would be better for KOEI because fans of the series would have to pay for three games to get the whole next generation of dw, plus overall it makes more characters.

Not by itself a bad idea if done properly and with enough space that it isn't clearly a cash cow. Probably go for lesser then 25 to start with though
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:15 pm

I like the Wu/Shu/Wei games thing. Could work quite well.

Reading Cao Hong's comment reminded me of something that Kong Wen said ages ago, I like the format of the games I enjoy playing I don't feel the need for big changes (clearly not Wen's words just what it made me think at the time). I just want new characters and battles with good storylines! I know that many of you won't agree with me though.

New Shu Characters I want:

1) Ma Dai
2) Xiahou Ba
3) Liu Feng
4) Liu Chan

Scrapped:

1) Yue Ying
2) Guan Ping

Bringing Shu up to 15, same as all kingdoms would be for me!

My priority: Xiahou Ba, Liu Feng would be my favourite but to really work Liu Chen is also needed!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:52 pm

At first I thought my idea as just an alternative to the current system, but now I think I would prefer my idea to the way it is now. Like both of you said if done properly it could turn out great.DW had its problems but its way too many to correct, if they go back to the way dw5 was done I will be pleased.Over time KOEI can fix the problems many people want fixed.I actually liked Pang De,Cao Pi, and Ling Tong just the way they were.Guan Ping and Xing Cai were awful in every way and both were shu!! By far the two worst adds dw has ever seen, such a shame because I was expecting great adds from shu before it came out.
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:24 am

Xing Cai has potential though, especially with Liu Chen and Liu Feng around!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:42 pm

I'll give her that, she had potential but was done poorly.I don't want women in dw anyway so I just thought she was too boring.
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:47 pm

I agree with you for most of that Cao Hong. I now admit that some women add to the game: Zhen Ji, Diao Chan, Zhu Rong.

Xing Cai was horrifically done in DW5 but with the right adds (ie. a PC husband in a power struggle with adopted brother) would be really interesting!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training