Dynasty Warriors 5 (& XL) Discussion Thread

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Do you recommend Koei’s Dynasty Warriors 5?

Yes
91%
No
4%
Maybe
3%
Unsure…
2%

Total votes : 193

Re: Dynasty Warriors 5 (& XL) Discussion Thread

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:35 am

true Ma Chao is just impossibly hard on that battle, I'm not so sure what to tell you on how to beat him except keep trying and hopefully you'll get lucky once in a while.
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu May 03, 2012 9:07 pm

Ok, so I finally passed Baidi as Sun Quan, and now I'm a mission to finish each of the musou modes in Chaos.

It's going to be interesting as there are still some characters that I haven't played at all/obtained 4th weapons for since I cleared my data last. Also, I wonder how long I'll last before I quit, when I get down to characters like SSX, Xu Chu, and Zhang Jiao.

One thing that really hit home as I did this was how much Wei love this title has. I've finished everyone except for Dian Wei (half way through), Xiahou Yuan, and Xu Chu. Xu Chu is the only unplayable one--Xiahou Yuan's will be a tough game (especially at Mt. Dingjun), but not entirely impossible.

Both Shu and Wu have a lot more characters that I don't particularly look forward to. In Shu, Zhang Fei and Huang Zhong are slow and ineffective, and while Zhuge Liang's musou can be destructive if aimed right, he has zero crowd-control abilities. Pang Tong's musou is a great crowd-destroyer, but it's a mystery how to survive long enough to get that musou bar charge. Wu is worse, as much as I hate to admit it--SSX is as bad as Xu Chu, if not worse; Huang Gai and Taishi Ci are useless in crowds, and Sun Ce just plain sucks. I also can't get Zhou Yu to pass his last stage, Battle of Chibi, yet---allies die way too quickly, and his attacks don't have enough power to clear officers fast enough.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Starscream » Fri May 04, 2012 3:12 am

It seems like some elements of DW5 are carried over to DW6. You have some unplayable characters that are either extremely slow or unappealing. Same in 6, I would like to envision how anyone is going to clear Changban in Chaos mode using Xu Chu.

Other factors in 6 that makes me too lazy to level up the minor characters are duplication of move sets (Yuan Shao = Cao Pi, Huang Zhong = Xiahou Yuan = Zhou Tai etc) and only 25% of the characters have musou stories. I am not motivated to volunteer for Changban run as Wei forces if I can avoid it.... :mrgreen:

Do something about Zhou Yu!!! I cleared my Dian Wei musou already even though I nearly destroyed my keyboard... :twisted:
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:51 pm

Still trying to beat everyone's musou mode in Chaos.

Of the three kingdoms, I'm down to Xu Zhu, Zhuge Liang, Sun Ce, and Huang Gai. SSX was surprisingly more tolerable than I remembered, especially if I don't give her the horrendous 4th weapon. She is so much better with a normal weight 3rd weapon (I did beef up the attack stat, though). Even at Yi Ling, she was basically untouchable if it weren't for all those pesky archers. I didn't miss the muous rage tokens because I gave her the Way of the Musou already.

I wonder if any other characters would do better with a differently-weighted 3rd weapon? I'm thinking Xu Zhu and Diao Chan. Has anyone tried them on Chaos with 3rds?

I also need a strat for Zhuge. Some people rank him quite high for his laser musou, but I find it impossible to aim (plus it's not a safe move because you don't always hit the peons around you). His regular attack lacks range big time, so I don't even know how he can charge his musou bar.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby SunXia » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:49 pm

Lady Wu wrote:SSX was surprisingly more tolerable than I remembered, especially if I don't give her the horrendous 4th weapon. She is so much better with a normal weight 3rd weapon (I did beef up the attack stat, though). Even at Yi Ling, she was basically untouchable if it weren't for all those pesky archers. I didn't miss the muous rage tokens because I gave her the Way of the Musou already.
Yeah how stupid of a concept was that making her weapons heavy!! A character like her has their true strength in speed and agility and giving her these slow anchors for weapons wrecked my brain!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:19 pm

Ok, this is embarrassing.

I've beaten all of the musou modes on Chaos for the Wei/Shu/Wu characters (including Xu Zhu!), except Sun Ce. I don't know what to do with him. Without a decent reach, he just keeps dying instead of killing enemies.

He is now competing against Zhu Rong, Meng Huo, Diao Chan, Zhang Jiao, and Dong Zhuo for the position of Most Unplayable Character on Chaos. I have a feeling that Zhang Jiao will win, but who knows. I used to think Xu Zhu was worse than Sun Ce, too...
Lady Wu

Unread postby mendedties » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:10 am

I think this thread could use a good resurrection.

*Huzzah!*

Just finished college semester numero 5 and decided to bust out the old PS2. I started from scratch and now have all characters unlocked. A few thoughts simply for the sake of sharing my nostalgia-fueled giddiness:

1. I don't know what it is, but Sun Quan is such a freaking boss in this game. One of the few superb voice acting jobs in the series up to this point, too.

"Back off before I split your head in two!"

2. Ling Tong is ridonculously good (and exceedingly fun to play). Equip ice orb, spam square square square triangle, and win.

3. Cao Ren. My favorite personality in the game, with my favorite character design. His armor is sick!

4. Ma Chao + 4th Weapon + Shadow Harness = Epic

5. I think my 1 negative for the game is that I prefer the old squadron of bodyguards over the single. I hear that it's different in XL, but I only have the vanilla game.

6. I lied in my previous point. I hate heavy weapons, especially heavy 4th weapons.
“I think we delight to praise what we enjoy because the praise not merely expresses but completes the enjoyment; it is its appointed consummation." -- C.S. Lewis
mendedties
Assistant

Unread postby Rydain » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:04 am

mendedties wrote:3. Cao Ren. My favorite personality in the game, with my favorite character design. His armor is sick!

:D :D :D :D :D

Yes. I recently revisited DW5 to enjoy the classic battle engine - with light RTS under the hood, enemy squad formations, and all - and my old favorite characters. Both the game and Cao Ren himself have held up over the years, especially given how phoned in he's been ever since. I love his somber self-sacrificial badassery and sense of do least harm ethics, which sets him above empty platitudes of virtue and has plenty of dramatic potential that KOEI of course hasn't bothered to exploit.

I'd also like to offer up my playthrough of Cao Ren's story, with full narration, all in-battle cut scenes encountered (including the ones with most meaningful character development), and live commentary including a brief rendition of Stout-Hearted Men. :P

Cao Ren's Musou Mode
Rydain
Assistant

Unread postby mendedties » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:04 pm

Hey Rydain, I gave your videos a watch--awesome stuff! I particularly liked the commentary on Fan Castle. Learned some stuff I never knew.

"Cao Ren was a wizard of defense." So true.

A quick question. You called light weapons "crappy." Why is that? I've always wondered what other differences came along with weight, but I was also quite young when I last played so I never actually looked into it.
“I think we delight to praise what we enjoy because the praise not merely expresses but completes the enjoyment; it is its appointed consummation." -- C.S. Lewis
mendedties
Assistant

Unread postby Rydain » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:59 pm

Thank you! :D Glad I could entertain and inform. I'd eventually like to make more of these for other favorite characters with particularly interesting cut scenes. Xiahou Yuan is a riot.

Weapon weight affects damage and attacking speed. Heavy weapons hit harder and are slower, whereas light weapons get some speedup at the expense of power. Specifically, a heavy is 1.25x stronger than a medium, which is 1.25x stronger than a light.

The usefulness of a weapon weight depends on the move set and the difficulty you're playing. I meant to say that light weapons are crappy for Cao Ren's move set in particular. He doesn't need the attack speedup to safely use his S string and better charges, and his musou filling and power suffer from the damage nerf. His ideal weapon weight is medium for chaos mode, heavy for hard mode where he can tank away and easily recover health. At least his 4th has an attack bonus on it, whereas some other characters with light 4ths aren't as lucky.
Rydain
Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training