Dynasty Warriors 5 (& XL) Discussion Thread

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Do you recommend Koei’s Dynasty Warriors 5?

Yes
91%
No
4%
Maybe
3%
Unsure…
2%

Total votes : 193

Re: Dynasty Warriors 5 (& XL) Discussion Thread

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:32 pm

Not sure who's still playing DW5, but how the *beep* do you beat Baidi Castle on Chaos with Sun Quan (maxed out)?
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Xu Huang fan » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:42 pm

Lady Wu wrote:Not sure who's still playing DW5, but how the *beep* do you beat Baidi Castle on Chaos with Sun Quan (maxed out)?

if Baidi is the one with Cao Pi as the final enemy...then i'd recommend making use of his Air Charge move, along with heavy use of C5 and C6
Ding Feng/Sun Shang Xiang is my new one true crack pairing XD (thank you ROT3KXI)
Xu Huang fan
Langzhong

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:37 am

Baidi is the one with Liu Shan in a castle protected by annoying arbalests, and where Ma Chao goes postal after you start slaughtering Shu peasants (they had it coming) and goes into mega rage mode and makes a bee-line for Sun Quan.

I keep getting killed by Ma Chao. :(
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Shenken » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:35 pm

I recently bought DW5 and started to notice that the levels are mostly too small or too easy. Like Nanman Campaign- In previous games it was tough and took as much as 45 minutes to complete. However, in DW5 the stage is small, groups of armies are few, and i completed it in about 10 minutes or less. The only real "challenge" was trying to get Meng Huo off of his elephant.

I've been trying to read reviews of DW3 and DW4 and can't decide which one is the better game (best game of the series). I've heard that DW3 weapons are tough to get (or was it DW4?). But how do they fare in terms of level size and difficulty? I only vaguely remember that they were great games with good challenge value.
That which does not kill you makes you stronger
http://kracov.wordpress.com
Shenken
Tyro

Unread postby Xu Huang fan » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:57 am

DW3 has worse(maybe great because its so awful) voice acting then DW4.

both games are pretty hard in thier own right, but for vary different reasons.

DW3 the stages are either really long or really short, there is no middle ground(the long ones are really long though), DW4 stages are very short(smaller then DW5's)

DW3 has more enemies on the field, and archers that do a f*** ton of damage

DW4 has better Enemy AI

DW4 has the better bodyguard system

DW3 has better Ally AI

DW4 has Dueling...which is a negative or a positive depending on how you look at it.
Ding Feng/Sun Shang Xiang is my new one true crack pairing XD (thank you ROT3KXI)
Xu Huang fan
Langzhong

Unread postby Elitemsh » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:53 pm

Shenken wrote:I've been trying to read reviews of DW3 and DW4 and can't decide which one is the better game (best game of the series). I've heard that DW3 weapons are tough to get (or was it DW4?). But how do they fare in terms of level size and difficulty? I only vaguely remember that they were great games with good challenge value.

My view is that DW 3 was much more challenging and rewarding. I remember that some of the later stages, you really had to approach the battles correctly to win. You couldn't merely just start killing all the enemies near you and then move on. Rather on those stages, you would need to use your head a bit and sometimes you would have to work very hard to win a stage. It was a great feeling when you got through it though. With DW 4 I don't ever remember that feeling. The problem is though I got DW 3 basically a decade ago so it might not be the same experience for you. You might be put off by the graphics for example.

The DW 3 XL weapons were very challenging to get( some if them) because you had to play on very hard. Yi ling on very hard. Now that brings back memories. I don't think the 4th weapons were that tough to get.
''I've never fought for anyone but myself. I've got no purpose in life. No ultimate goal. It's only when I'm cheating death on the battlefield. The only time I feel truly alive.'' ~Solid Snake
Elitemsh
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:04 pm

DW3 has worse(maybe great because its so awful) voice acting then DW4.

You are so right. DW3 has the best voice acting in the series because it's so bad it's good. The Yellow Turban cut scenes still get me in stitches when I watch them.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xu Huang fan » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:19 pm

i tell you i love the voice acting in DW3.

Soldier: the enemy has set up a DYKE by the EDGE of the RIVER!

Sima Yi: A DYKE?! OHHHHHH NOOOOOOOO!!!
Xu Huang fan
Langzhong

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:53 am

I think DW3 or Dw5 is the best DW game. I'd recommend getting both if you like the series but if I could only pick one than Dw3 would be my choice. Anyways I hope Koei returns the Musou mode in DW8 to something more like it was in this game(DW5). Not sure why but I really love the narratives and such, it also gives great replay value trying to beat every story mode. Baidi castle is b**ch to beat on chaos, Ma Chao is a god on that stage. My best advice to you Lady Wu is just simply trying to avoid fighting him. Its really hard to beat him and you will die a lot, you may get lucky if you keep trying though.
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xu Huang fan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:37 pm

the main issue with avoiding ma chao is that he stalks you threwout the entire level.
Xu Huang fan
Langzhong

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training