Dynasty Warriors 5 (& XL) Discussion Thread

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Do you recommend Koei’s Dynasty Warriors 5?

Yes
91%
No
4%
Maybe
3%
Unsure…
2%

Total votes : 193

Dynasty Warriors 5 (& XL) Discussion Thread

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:52 pm

Alright everyone, the moderation team has discussed this for a bit and we have decided to open up a new DW5 discussion thread, for a couple reasons.

1) The current one was started way back in the day and contains a lot of pre-release discussions, and it's simply way too long to read through for hints and information.

2) With the North American release of the game, there are going to be millions of requests for hints on items, weapons, unlocking, etc. We don't want these questions to create hundreds of new small threads.

So, with that said, here is what I would like to happen! I am going to sticky this thread and make it the official DW5 Gameplay Thread. ALL questions about how to unlock stuff, how to do certain things in the game, and so forth, should be asked in this thread.

Any questions about release information, video requests, or questions about what features are in the game (i.e. for the European and Australian markets) should be asked in the other thread, which I will de-sticky.

I am going to go around the forum right now and lock all DW5 gameplay threads to direct them here, in order to reduce clutter and to concentrate our gameplay hints in one place.
"If I had to do my life over, I would change every single thing I have done."
— Raymond Douglas Davies, 1967
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Unread postby Huang Bob » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:15 am

I was wondering when this was going to happen........

Anyway, in the other thread I said I was having trouble getting Zhang He's and Cao Pi's 4th weapons. I replayed Cao Pi, and got the message, picked up but I died. Mad dashes at the commander don't work anymore.

I still can't get Zhang He's weapon though. I kill Gao Xiang and Wang Ping, seal both those gates, then Ma Su stops attacking (He never started), I capture the supply base he's in then I kill him after Sima Yi tells me to, and I don't get it.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Huang Bob
United Abominations

Unread postby jodonnell » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:02 am

Are the 4th weapons "gettable" if you are just using a fresh-start character with maybe a high level Tortoise Amulet/Peacock Urn? I remember in DW3 I went and used the 2P weapon trick (which I guess doesn't work on this one?) to get most people's 4th weapons from level zero, then playing through their musou with a full-combo weapon. Made it a little more fun for me. So do you usually level up guys a bunch first, or is it a fair enough challenge to get them starting from the beginning?
jodonnell
Assistant

Unread postby Jon » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:08 am

Supply Team Captain wrote:I was wondering if there is an event linked to the appearance of the Peasants in the Battle for Cheng Du. At one point Zhao Yun talks to them trying to convince them not to fight.

Has anyone stumbled across an additional cut scene? For instance, in the Battle of Bai Di Castle you can "save" the peasants by killing all the Wu generals in the SW corner of the map.

Quoted from Supply Team Captain's thread. :)
Jon
Ladies' Man

Unread postby Taishi Ci of Wu » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:45 am

Could someone expalin the bodyguard rankings and abilitys. I have used body guards a lot but never really paid attentions to ranks like veterens.

Which type do you prefer?

Thanks
"When a worthy person is born into a turbulent world, he has to be a soldier and gird on a three-span sword to step on the mountains to mend the sky. I have not rendered great service. Why must I die before I have attained my desire?" Taishi Ci
Taishi Ci of Wu
Academic

Unread postby WeiYan of Shu 77 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:05 am

Taishi CI of Wu wrote:Could someone expalin the bodyguard rankings and abilitys. I have used body guards a lot but never really paid attentions to ranks like veterens.

Which type do you prefer?

Thanks

ok here ya go,

well they are ranked Veteran, Remarkable, Brilliant, and Superior. And then are given a letter rank.

The highest Letter rank is S, then A, then B, and so on and so forth

Now for the other title (Veteran, Remarkable, Brilliant, and Superior)

Veteran- The abilities are high, but development will take a while. (I think this is pretty good, because i do not care how long it takes, just as long is the body guards stats end up good)

Remarkable- Abilities and the time it takes to level them up are average. (Whenever I get a remarkable bodyguard i get rid of them)

Brilliant- Stats are low, but they will level up quickly. (This is good for noobs, but that is about it)

Superior- Stats are high, and they level up quickly. (By far the best one)

soo the best bodyguard you could have would be a Superior/S

As for abilites,

the body guards with Spears (Men) usually get the Freeze ability (Ice orb)
this help a lot especially when fighting Generals

body guards with Swords (Female) usually get fire (fire orb)

body guards with War Fans (Female) usually get Shadow ability (Yin orb)
personally this ability is ok, but the fact that they can heal is awsome.

body guards with Staffs (Male) usually get the light ability (Yang orb)

Then your body guards can gain special abilities like, Heal, Rage, Wall, Fame, Link, Hire, Item, and Find. (If you want to know what all these different abilities do look on page 27 in the DW5 manuel)

hope this helped.
Huang Zhong: Are you calling me old?!
Wei Yan: ...Yes.
Huang Zhong: Liu Bei! I demand you kill him!
Liu Bei: Well it's... true...
WeiYan of Shu 77
Academic

Unread postby urbanterrorist » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:16 am

Nice! Now I can ask questions about DW5 gameplay.

1. Can you replace bodyguards with better ones?
2. What happens when you get the highest level for a character?
They miss the whisper that runs any day in your mind,
"Who are you really, wanderer?" and the answer you have to give
no matter how dark and cold the world around you is:
"Maybe I'm a king. -William Stafford
urbanterrorist
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Iain » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:18 am

Do you get superior bodyguards by playing on higher difficulties in DW5? I'm just wondering if its random or not.
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Unread postby EVERYTHING » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:32 am

urbanterrorist wrote:1. Can you replace bodyguards with better ones?

Of course :wink:

urbanterrorist wrote:2. What happens when you get the highest level for a character?

They're really powerful :lol:, you get all your customes around 20K points, 60K is the max and you get the ability to equip 5 items at that point.

Huang Bob wrote:I still can't get Zhang He's weapon though. I kill Gao Xiang and Wang Ping, seal both those gates, then Ma Su stops attacking (He never started), I capture the supply base he's in then I kill him after Sima Yi tells me to, and I don't get it.

Hmm, well I haven't started Zhang He... but I shall (most likely) start him to try to get his 4th weapon.

Akroma wrote:Do you get superior bodyguards by playing on higher difficulties in DW5? I'm just wondering if its random or not.

I beilive so, but it is rather random, I get more vetern/C on normal/easy but I do believe it has more to do with how you did in the stage, points gained... but even if it is, I would still think it's 40% how you did, 60% luck or something like that.
EVERYTHING
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby urbanterrorist » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:38 am

Another question is how many item slots do all of the characters get? Do all of them get 5 items slots?
They miss the whisper that runs any day in your mind,
"Who are you really, wanderer?" and the answer you have to give
no matter how dark and cold the world around you is:
"Maybe I'm a king. -William Stafford
urbanterrorist
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training