Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:23 pm

I would hope Yuan Shu is added as more than a walking trope. Knowing Koei he'd likely end up similar to Yuan Shao but I could see him being portrayed as more of conniving/scheming kind of guy mixed in with the pompous nobility thing Yuan Shao has going. At this point I honestly don't care how he is portrayed as long as he simply makes the cut to be a playable character. He has so many interesting battles, events, and scenarios that could be played out in the game, I think those will just speak for themselves to help develop him as a character.

I just know that both here and at Koei Warriors he is pretty much the highest requested character in the Others category, along with Gao Shun. I have a feeling Gao Shun will win the next most wanted character poll though, he was already at number 6 or 7 last time and numbers 1-5 have all been added, plus with the inclusions of Lu Lingqi and Chen Gong it will likely boost demands for his inclusion. I just hope Yuan Shu is able to make top 10 so Koei has some indication that fans are still asking for him.
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DragonAtma » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:40 am

Hmmm... we think Yuan Shu should be added, but hopefully not as Yuan Shao #2. Based on history:

* Yuan Shu was incompetent. Yeah, he lasted long enough to fight everyone, but that was because of his followers, but him.
* Yuan Shu DID get top some quality followers (most of early Wu), but eventually drove them away.
* Yuan Shu was would change his mind on things (most notably when he promised Sun Ce a commandery, but let someone else run it).
* Yuan Shu had an ego and a strong desire for becoming emperor.

So I'd say the best way would be to have him as someone who's charismatic but lacks the skills to back it. He'd gain ego with his he successes, and would gradually get unhinged from his failures. Early parts would concentrate on his charisma and mostly hide his flaws, but cracks in his public image would appear throughout the game, and by the end it'd concentrate on his flaws and mostly hide his charisma.

Let's just hope Koei doesn't just go "ego ego ego oh hey, let's claim Xuzhou ego ego ego".
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:45 am

* Yuan Shu was incompetent. Yeah, he lasted long enough to fight everyone, but that was because of his followers, but him.

Which followers? Yuan Shu's ability to bounce back seem utterly his own.

DragonAtma wrote: Yuan Shu was would change his mind on things (most notably when he promised Sun Ce a commandery, but let someone else run it).

He did that once (the other time, Sun Ce complaining makes him as honest as rogue builder who tears up the floorboards then declares job is done) so not really a trait to be fair.

I don't disagree with the general plan you propose. Yuan Shu was noted for gallantry in early days so add that in, his main ability as a warlord seems to be he was resilient+assassination and kept bouncing back but that he overreaches beyond his limited abilities
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby DragonAtma » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:33 pm

Which competent followers helped him, you say? Pretty much all the early Wu officers -- Han Dang, Huang Gai, Lu Fan, Zhu Zhi, etc. I would not be surprised if Yuan Shu's top ten officers were all Sun Jian, Sun Ce, or one of their followers.

The problem is that NOBODY seems to cover Yuan Shu's force between "kicked out of Jingzhou and Yanzhou" and "suddenly Yuan Shu runs all of Yuzhou". For example, Guo Gong was inspector of Yuzhou before Yuan SHu (or claimed to be, anyway), but we don't even know who he was affiliated with (or didn't in 2015, anyway).
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:10 pm

No I asked which officers helped his resilience and bouncing back and take the credit rather then Yuan Shu himself. Which happened after Sun officers mass defected.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:07 am

Dong Zhou wrote:Yuan Shu was noted for gallantry in early days so add that in

He was?

Also, I agree, Yuan Shu fights so many battles that it would improve so many story lines to have him as an actual character.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DragonAtma » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:06 pm

No, he only bounced back after Sun Jian's death, when the Wu officers were with him. After 197 (when he declared himself emperor) Sun Ce left him, the Wu officers went with Sun Ce, and Yuan Shu pretty much nosedived. Major events from 197 to 199 in order, courtesy of KMA:

* Yuan Shu declares himself emperor.
* Yuan Shu's envoy notifies Lu Bu; Lu Bu beheads the envoy and threatens to cut all ties.
* Yuan Shu sends an army to obliterate Lu Bu. Han Xian and Yang Feng defect midbattle, so Lu Bu wins the battle decisively.
* Lu Bu plunders Yuan Shu's countryside.
* The Han sends an edict for an anti-Yuan Shu coalition. Sun Ce formally breaks with him, taking the Wu officers and everything south of the Yangtze.
* Yuan Shu's asks Liu Chong for supplies and is denied; his assassins kill Liu Chong, and he takes what he asked for -- his one and only post-declaration success.
* Cao Cao invades Yuan Shu. Qiao Rui is crushed, and Yuan Shu flees across the Huai
* Lu Bu sees Liu bei and Cao Cao allied; he sides with Yuan Shu, but is repeatedly defeated by Cao Cao.
* Yuan Shu gives Lu Bu the supplies he asked for. Lu Bu sends his daughter for marriage, but she never arrives. Lu Bu is captured and executed.
* Yuan Shu sends messengers to incite Zu Lang and the Shanyue. They are easily defeated.
* Yuan Shu, with no money and little army tries to join Lei Bo and Chen Lan. They reject him.
* Yuan Shu arranges to join Yuan Shao. He flees north, but is defeated by Liu Bei and dies.

DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:30 pm

Your right, the main bounce back I was thinking of was pre 194 (when they were gone in essence). There is no evidence any of the Sun/Wu officers were involved in that or any of the mini comebacks. Yes, he nosedived after the decision to call himself emperor provoked a mass alliance (who failed to destroy them) and his excess once he rode out the mass alliance

DW9 civil costumes:

Jia Xu 5: Robe seems ill-fitting and turban colour doesn't work for him

Xiahou Yuan 6.5: Decent set of colours on the robe, face seems fatter out of uniform

Zhou Yu 7: solid, hair down, relaxed, fine colours but lacks a little something

Gan Ning 7: Would have been more but I hate the hair :P Lovely robe and keeping the bell is a nice touch

Taischi Ci 5.5: If this is a punishment for people wanting to see the hair, it is a good punishment. Something a bit off with the face, nice pattern on the robe

Liu Shan 7.5: The costume is great, rich green robe with gold mixed well, dragon patterns, hair down but somehow, they make him look like a child.

Xu Shu 6.5: A bit of a wander look, I just don't think the white jacket goes well with his bearded face. It isn't a bad costume but it doesn't quite work with him

Yue Ying 6: Bad colour system but nice to see a full length dress and hair down

Guan Ping 6: The colour system makes it a bit... blerg. Needs a bit of life to go with dark green and orange belt, the dragon not enough. Not a fan of the hair but it does look nicely disorganized

Deng Ai 7: Solid, nice patterns on blue robe, sense of power behind it

Zhuge Dan 7.5: Has someone taught him how to smile yet? Good rich blue robe

Dong 8: Possibly a little too busy but it is a rich, plenty of images robe, taking the image on his armour and doing the full thing.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:11 pm

According to this Reddit post discussing an interview with the director (source given in the post), DW9 will have Japanese, Chinese, and English VA, among others.

Very happy to have English VA return after the past several non-main-series Warriors titles lacking it. It gets kinda annoying reading while fighting.
Jia Nanfeng
Apprentice

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:35 am

Not surprised we are getting English voices but pleased. Was fine with Godseekers that only text was English becuase you can just sit back and watch the scene, more difficult in DW where test and voices flashing across while your busy fighting

Realized I missed two Wei civ costumes:

Dian Wei 6.5: It's does feel like neck doesn't quite fit with costume but sense of power in the arms, decent plain colours and pattern

Cao Pi 6.5: I like the idea but the black jacket and the blue+white robe top doesn't mesh. I like the pattern on bottom half, rich, I like the hair
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Previous

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training