Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:08 am

I’m curious Dong, of all the post-PS2 era Dynasty Warriors games(so DW6-DW9), which do find has the strongest character designs overall?
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:42 pm

Sun Fin wrote:
Dong Zhou wrote:Xu Huang 6.5: Bit more oomph with the armour, nice mix of blue and white but I don't like the helmet

Liu Shan 6.5: Not a bad costume by any means, got the hat, very well decorated and on a new figure this would look lovely but it feels like Liu Shan has... lost something. A bit of bulk/weight. I suspect removal of fur cloak hasn't worked

I prefer Liu Shan without the fur personally, also really like the new Xu Huang!

Your a monster :wink: I don't think it is the fur in itself but that Liu Shan now feels a lot thinner

Cao Hong 14 wrote:I’m curious Dong, of all the post-PS2 era Dynasty Warriors games(so DW6-DW9), which do find has the strongest character designs overall?

In truth, I have no idea becuase a new game comes in and I forget most of the costumes
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:00 pm

Zhou Yu 6.5: Is that a naval costume? Good mix of colours

Lu Xun 7: Looks nice

Taischi Ci 6.5: Costume good as looks nice and works for him, helmet not

SSX 7: I think better without the bow but is a nice costume, good colours

Sun Jian 4.5: Sleazy

Sun Quan 7: I like the keeper kit! Also I'm a a football fan so may be biased

Lu Meng 6: Trying a bit too hard to be cool with that pose

Gan Ning 5.5: Not my thing, I do admire the patterns on the jacket but the colours don't mesh. Nice touch keeping the bell

Huang Gai 5.5: Not a flattering outfit that does Huang Gai any favours

Sun Ce 6: Not a bad idea but belt doesn't fit

Da Qiao 6.5: A good idea and it so nearly works, the main costume (including boots and gloves) and pose works well but the hat and hair combo ruins it

Xiao Qiao 6: Going from the back doesn't allow a proper view and is a tad creepy, looks like it could work well. Maybe with actual shorts?

Zhou Tai 6: I love that we get to see scars across the body which is a great touch, hat off putting, rest of costume is alright but not my style

Ling Tong 7.5: Good sporting swimsuit costume

Ding Tong 7: Solid hard working costume, dirt patches on shirt are a nice touch

Lian Shi 5: I could see the doctor/scientist idea working but dress doesn't work with the lab coat.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Valvatorez » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:55 pm

There's just something about Liu Shan's new look for 9 that seems very annoying to me, I don't know what it is exactly though, or if it's just everything in general. Also I'm glad to see that Xin Xianyiang is in Jin.

About the ratings for 8's extra costumes though, I actually like reading these with the page side by side, and really do agree with most of the ones you have said so far, so thank you for taking the time to do these as well :D Sun Jian actually does look a bit sleazy in that outfit lol. I will say though that I think the next 2 sets are pretty good overall when you get to those, I think a lot of them are nice, with only a couple of bad ones. From Shu, Liu Bei, Huang Zhong, Jiang Wei, Xing Cai, and most of the Jin characters look nice in the next 2 sets.
Valvatorez
Academic

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:41 pm

I have done Liu Bei's, one of those great idea's but they needed to alter hair to suit the suit.

DW9 civ costumes:

Xu Huang 6: Slight issue with bulk, he looks different without the helmet, fine plain costume.

Guo Jia 5.5: The idea is good, rich, relaxed, I assume leg bandages are for health, think the shade on the jacket misfires.

Huang Gai 7: Hides the bulk better, it is a nice, enough colours not to be plain robe, little patterns, he feels stern but off duty. I am surprised at the main choice of colour

Sima Yi 6: I love the costume yet something is off. First time I thought "Sima Yi looks like a child" and while that isn't true, something just doesn't seem Sima Yi. Maybe the height not helping? Rich looking robe, lovely purple though turquoise trim isn't the best match

Jia Chong 7: Rich, he loves black, good patterns and seems suited

Chen Gong 6.5: Not a fan of the hairdown look, nice black robe on the outside but not sure it meshs with the purple inside robe.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:15 pm

The DW8 Shu original DLC costumes

Zhao Yun 6.5: I didn't recognise him at first and in truth, not sure it is the costume for him. For someone else, it could work well with a good solid uniform combining with a bit of flair with the scarf

Guan Yu 5: I'm not sure the first impression I'm meant to have is bulky lady. His strong shoulders and wide body do not suit that costume

Zhang Fei 6: Fine but not my style

Zhuge Liang 6: I see the idea but it doesn't quite work, I partly blame the hair and possibly the colour scheme

Liu Bei 7: Smart suit marred by choice of hairstyle which ill-suits

Ma Chao 6: Idea is good, the main biker costume is good but green helmet really really marrs it to the point I have a bad reaction (main costume 7.5 or 8, helmet 4)

Huang Zhong 6.5: Really good idea well done, I just don't warm to it

Jiang Wei 6: Another "I see what they are doing but", not sure green jacket and white trousers mesh well

Wei Yan 7.5: I was wondering how they would cover the mask, good answer. A sense of power and pride, a bit of flair in the mask, good mix of colours. Don't like the reddy thing at the neck

Pang Tong 6.5: Solid answer to how to keep face covered, works well enough

Yue Ying 7.5: Very good idea and looks good, plays into her inventor persona, doesn't sexy it up much, good costume and I like the glasses in the hair

Guan Ping 6: Fine, I think the red parts hamper the costume but was a decent idea

Xing Cai 5.5: She needs a smile for that costume and beret really hampers it. Like the crest but the whole outfit doesn't gel though I like the idea

Liu Shan 5: The main costume and the pose might have worked but the hat and collar makes him look silly, that he is trying so hard to be cool

Ma Dai 6.5: Good idea doing a fellow biking costume but of a different kind of costume to Ma Chao. I prefer Ma Chao (bar the helmet) general costume but I don't have a high negative reaction to the busy costume

Guan Suo 6: Unremarkable, might have done better with something other then yellow.

BSN 5.5: I don't mind the idea but it feels like the overall costume ends up too busy with the coloured eyelashes, purple socks, too many little details.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:49 pm

Site has new costumes

Cai Wenji 8.5: Lovely dress with well mixed colours and like the arms, good redone face, some nice little objects like necklace and what seems to be coins around waist, not so keen on hair-piece and the hair style

Ding Feng 7: An improvement for me on 8's, a sense of power and armour, good mix of colours. I do think they should consider adding something to reflect the poet side they give him

Wei Yan 6.5: I see what they have gone for, I'm not yet utterly convinced by it. Angry face not helping. Again good mix of colours, some nice decorations on things like the shoulder guard, bad hair.

Zuo Ci 6.5: Alas description indicates he is still going to be biased. Main costume fine, the shade of purple is easy on the eye, keeps his usual symbols, funky beard but I hate the hair.

Zhang Jiao 5.0 (7 costume, hair 3): Costume feels a bit more restrained while keeping what we are used to: the necklace, the yellow, some nice symbols. Best we never talk about the beard
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:51 pm

The whip seems too "aggressive" for Cai Wenji's peaceful character. I feel like the paired fans would have suited her better.

I like her outfit though. Her braided hair is nice.

Ding Feng getting the gauntlets was somewhat expected; I hope he at least retains the gimmick of attacks changing depending on timing, like his circle-ring-blade-thing had in 8. I thought that was fun!
Jia Nanfeng
Tyro

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:45 am

DW9 coming out Feb13th next year, some preorder costumes as well

I agree the whip doesn't seem suited to Wenji
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:03 am

Dong Zhou wrote:DW9 coming out Feb13th next year, some preorder costumes as well

Since pack 5 is Jin and Others, going for that

Jin:

Sima Yi 6.5: I like the pattern on the hem of the coat, I feel that idea for a costume works better with darker colours

Sima Shi 7.5: Fine naval figure of a man! Nice patterns and colours work well

Sima Zhao 7: I don't think the light blue helps but good idea for costume and suits him well, pulls off the trousers

Deng Ai 6.5: Fine but seems too similar to Sima Zhao

Wang Yuanji 6: There is something fake about the jacket that stops this working

Zhong Hui 6.5: I see what they are going for but it feels like it needs more colour to make it stand out

Zhuge Dan 6.5: They love plaid trousers, jacket and trousers don't mesh

Xiahou Ba 6.5: Fine

Guo Huai 7: Nice idea and suits him, suit gives old fashioned style and lab coat goes with pale face

====

Others:

Diao Chan 7.5: On paper this score should be higher, the purple and gold works really well, it is a good uniform and is lovely looking, it just doesn't feel like Diao Chan

Lu Bu 6.5: Take out the headdress and that would have got a better score but when you have a powerful guard costume with good use of black and red, don't mar it with a head dress that makes no sense

Dong Z 6.5: Strange, very very very strange, but that works well enough. Not sure that costume is meant to be a compliment to his taste though

Yuan Shao 5.5: I see what they want for but the yellow in the jacket and hat doesn't work. Idea was nice so is a pity

Zhang Jiao 7.5: Good idea as it suits him, the hippy music player, good use of hair, items and symbols to add to that

Meng Huo 6: Too busy in shirt

Zhu Rong 7: Nice idea, not my sort of thing but I like the hair
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Previous

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training