Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Unread postby Valvatorez » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:14 am

Dong Zhou wrote:
No offence always leads to good things!

My last one had one 6.5 :P I would say the last big set was not a good batch personally though. A .5 is where the score below feels too harsh but the point above feels just too strong

So when most of my stuff is in the top half of scores, that is a bad thing? How many times have I said mediocre or the equivalent? I agree that a game like DW (I don't tend to play games that go beyond 3/4 games other then football games in the past which tended to go big leap then 2-3 years of tweaks) what one is going to get is tweaks on a formula with a very rare major overhaul of a look. I'm perfectly happy with that

I suspect Yiping's look will be something I like more within the game. My main concern is also gameplay (not sure about openworld and going back to individual stories but fingers crossed)

:mrgreen: The no offense was so you would know I wasn't bashing your opinion lol, just that maybe your rating system wasn't clear? I don't know if you explained what you were looking for or not, but maybe it's just me but having something in the 5-6 range would make me think its not really good. In school if you got a 65 of 100 on a test you would fail lol, 75-80 was passing, so maybe that's what I was thinking of? I always kinda think that 6-7 would be a mediocre rating, like its not really bad, but also not good enough, anything under 6 would be bad, and under 5 really bad. So that's why I thought you didn't like most of the characters at all, or they were just meh.
Also my point about the sequels thing is that a lot of games from everything like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, or anything that has tons of games in the same series, they don't really change the character looks too much if its something that has the same set of characters, something like Final Fantasy that uses different characters can be far easier to change, since it has mostly different characters every time, and it must be harder here since they always have to use the same set of people, based off real people, from thousands of years ago so they can't go too far with how the clothes look, do you know what I meant?
I think we want to see you rate someone a 10, maybe if Zou Ci is in the game, how can you not rate that hair a 10? :lol:
This makes me wonder what you think of this page, and what ratings those would get, specifically the Fantasy set :mrgreen: http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Dynasty_Warr ... egends/DLC

I kinda think something like this may come up in the future as dlc for 9, although I'm not sure if it's needed.
Yeah I agree about the open world thing, it sounds really good at first, but I don't know how they will do it, is it something that is scenario based? Like you can only play certain characters at a time during each scenario? What happens if you play as Lu Bu when Cao Cao is supposed to kill him and you just run off to the other side of the map? Does the story continue on anyways, so no matter what you do, he will die anyways and you can't play as him later? I haven't seen how that will work, was it said anywhere? Like if you don't participate in events if they will just happen anyways which will lead to the scenario being cleared and you having to start somewhere else and only a few characters are available during each storyline, or do you really play through the entire timeline and the events can be changed if you get involved and say help the Yellow Turbans win or something like that? I don't think it will be so open ended, but it might be cool if it was, or it could just be a total mess.
Last edited by Valvatorez on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valvatorez
Assistant

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:24 am

My understanding is that it's split in to chapters and in order to finish the relevant chapter you have to engage in a big, set piece battle (where the major events like that will occur). The free world allows you to do as many sub-missions as you want along the way, many of which will have a bearing on the main battle (like people coming as reinforcements etc).

In British uni's 60 is a 2:1 which is considered a good pass grade. :wink:
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Valvatorez » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:39 am

Ah I see, I was hoping it was a bit more open ended, and you can influence some things how you want like certain outcomes, but you're probably right. It almost seems like things happen no matter what you do, so its really not open ended? Is everyone just gonna stand around waiting for their fight while you go fishing? Its kinda confusing how they will do it, I just hope its a good game since I've looked forward to it for a long time and enjoyed the others.

:mrgreen: See I didn't know that about the grades. which made me think Dong didn't like almost all of the characters since they were below 7, but that means he must've given most of them a slight pass, and only a few aren't as good. Thanks, that clears it up a little bit then.
Valvatorez
Assistant

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:40 am

Valvatorez wrote:
:mrgreen: The no offense was so you would know I wasn't bashing your opinion lol, just that maybe your rating system wasn't clear? I don't know if you explained what you were looking for or not, but maybe it's just me but having something in the 5-6 range would make me think its not really good. In school if you got a 65 of 100 on a test you would fail lol, 75-80 was passing, so maybe that's what I was thinking of? I always kinda think that 6-7 would be a mediocre rating, like its not really bad, but also not good enough, anything under 6 would be bad, and under 5 really bad. So that's why I thought you didn't like most of the characters at all, or they were just meh.

Sorry, was meant as a joke based on the reputation that "no offence" is usually followed "but your face loks like a warthog's buttocks" :wink:

Yeah I can see the ratings system's isn't clear. I am stingy on my ratings frankly so mentally it might be wise to shift it up a point for others. For me 1-4 is "OH GOD NOOOOOOO MY EYES, MY EYES" like Ma Chao's hair. 5 is pretty mediocre or something is dragging it down a bit, 6 is "Quite nice but I don't particularly warm to it. It is fine.", 7 is "I like this one", 8 is "I really like this one, it sparkles for me and stands out", 9 is "Wow" and 10 is changing my religion. Sometimes a good design can be harmed by one thing meaning it doesn't quite gel

I was at school that lost a maths exam and didn't tell us but gave the top students a passing grade of 45. Be grateful I didn't do that system or you would be really confused :P

Also my point about the sequels thing is that a lot of games from everything like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, or anything that has tons of games in the same series, they don't really change the character looks too much if its something that has the same set of characters, something like Final Fantasy that uses different characters can be far easier to change, since it has mostly different characters every time, and it must be harder here since they always have to use the same set of people, based off real people, from thousands of years ago so they can't go too far with how the clothes look, do you know what I meant?
I think we want to see you rate someone a 10, maybe if Zou Ci is in the game, how can you not rate that hair a 10? :lol:

I get what you mean.

I suppose part of the ratings for me is I don't expect the costumes to wow me so I'm quite happy if they are getting 6's and 7's, I also think a picture doesn't always do them service becuase they are going to be designed for movement during battle rather then looking good in still image

I have only ever given one film a 10 so you will wait forever! :devil:

This makes me wonder what you think of this page, and what ratings those would get, specifically the Fantasy set :mrgreen: http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Dynasty_Warr ... egends/DLC

May take me awhile and I won't do commentary with them but I will rate them all! Some of the fantasy ones do look quite nice at first glance

I kinda think something like this may come up in the future as dlc for 9, although I'm not sure if it's needed.
Yeah I agree about the open world thing, it sounds really good at first, but I don't know how they will do it, is it something that is scenario based? Like you can only play certain characters at a time during each scenario? What happens if you play as Lu Bu when Cao Cao is supposed to kill him and you just run off to the other side of the map? Does the story continue on anyways, so no matter what you do, he will die anyways and you can't play as him later? I haven't seen how that will work, was it said anywhere? Like if you don't participate in events if they will just happen anyways which will lead to the scenario being cleared and you having to start somewhere else and only a few characters are available during each storyline, or do you really play through the entire timeline and the events can be changed if you get involved and say help the Yellow Turbans win or something like that? I don't think it will be so open ended, but it might be cool if it was, or it could just be a total mess.

I tend to ignore costume DLC but I bet they do it

Yes only certain characters at a time (Liu Shan won't fight Turbans, Liu Bei's ends in defeat at Yiling), on the Lu Bu one: you will be stuck I imagine in that scenario for ever

Ah I see, I was hoping it was a bit more open ended, and you can influence some things how you want like certain outcomes, but you're probably right. It almost seems like things happen no matter what you do, so its really not open ended? Is everyone just gonna stand around waiting for their fight while you go fishing? Its kinda confusing how they will do it, I just hope its a good game since I've looked forward to it for a long time and enjoyed the others.

I believe koei very quickly ruled out a sort of "what if moment", I wonder if that might be planned for DW10. I believe all you can do is tilt the ease of your final scenario battle. I do wonder as you mention if some side missions will have "and if take too long, the moment passes and you can't do it"
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Valvatorez » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:49 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Yeah I can see the ratings system's isn't clear. I am stingy on my ratings frankly so mentally it might be wise to shift it up a point for others. For me 1-4 is "OH GOD NOOOOOOO MY EYES, MY EYES" like Ma Chao's hair. 5 is pretty mediocre or something is dragging it down a bit, 6 is "Quite nice but I don't particularly warm to it. It is fine.", 7 is "I like this one", 8 is "I really like this one, it sparkles for me and stands out", 9 is "Wow" and 10 is changing my religion. Sometimes a good design can be harmed by one thing meaning it doesn't quite gel

I was at school that lost a maths exam and didn't tell us but gave the top students a passing grade of 45. Be grateful I didn't do that system or you would be really confused :P

Ah sorry if you explained that somewhere and I missed it about the ratings, I just didn't think you liked any of them with the medium scores, but that cleared it up. Ma Chao's hair :mrgreen: Now that I look at the informal version of him, he actually looks like Lu Bu a bit just with lighter hair. Sorry for making you explain all this, but I do understand it now what you meant compared to what I originally thought.

Dong Zhou wrote:I get what you mean.

I suppose part of the ratings for me is I don't expect the costumes to wow me so I'm quite happy if they are getting 6's and 7's, I also think a picture doesn't always do them service becuase they are going to be designed for movement during battle rather then looking good in still image

I have only ever given one film a 10 so you will wait forever! :devil:

Yeah you're right, plus we will be staring at their back for most of the game also. And aw, I do wonder now who will end up with the highest rating. Maybe Lu Meng when they finally show him.

Dong Zhou wrote:May take me awhile and I won't do commentary with them but I will rate them all! Some of the fantasy ones do look quite nice at first glance

Haha yeah sure take your time, I didn't know if you ever saw those costumes before, I remember playing some of them in the game and thinking how ridiculous some of them actually look in game, but some of them do look pretty good. I wonder if this game will even have dlc or extra stuff that they add in at all. Judging by what they do from Dead or Alive, there might be tons of this stuff later on. :?

Have you seen this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvDpE675cfU

I just skipped through a bit, but the map looks pretty big at first and it's nice to see them be able to fast travel to different places and have it be night time, the 32:15 mark looks nice too being able to see everything from up above, makes me miss Skyrim a bit.
Valvatorez
Assistant

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:26 am

Valvatorez wrote:Ah sorry if you explained that somewhere and I missed it about the ratings, I just didn't think you liked any of them with the medium scores, but that cleared it up. Ma Chao's hair :mrgreen: Now that I look at the informal version of him, he actually looks like Lu Bu a bit just with lighter hair. Sorry for making you explain all this, but I do understand it now what you meant compared to what I originally thought.

I'm not sure I ever gave a full explanation of the ratings before so it is only fair you asked.

Yeah you're right, plus we will be staring at their back for most of the game also. And aw, I do wonder now who will end up with the highest rating. Maybe Lu Meng when they finally show him.

Koei should show us the view from the back!

Lu Meng tends to have solid designs. I bet it is Dong's civ clothing!

Haha yeah sure take your time, I didn't know if you ever saw those costumes before, I remember playing some of them in the game and thinking how ridiculous some of them actually look in game, but some of them do look pretty good. I wonder if this game will even have dlc or extra stuff that they add in at all. Judging by what they do from Dead or Alive, there might be tons of this stuff later on. :?

My (non real) money would be on plenty of clothing DLC

Have you seen this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvDpE675cfU

I just skipped through a bit, but the map looks pretty big at first and it's nice to see them be able to fast travel to different places and have it be night time, the 32:15 mark looks nice too being able to see everything from up above, makes me miss Skyrim a bit.

Not watched the whole video but my first impression was how large (and confusing) the map was. You might find this KW info thread useful
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Valvatorez » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:03 pm

Yeah there probably will be tons of dlc if they try to do what they did to Dead Or Alive 5 :shock:
That map in the video seems pretty big, but I'm not sure what to think if there's only certain things going on in certain parts of the map and literally nothing happening in most of the other cities, it kinda defeats the purpose of having all that? I mean It's like in the other games, you'd almost never go back to bases you already conquered because there was nothing happening there, well besides a bunch of guys standing around a meat bun.

Thanks for the link too, that helped clear up some of the stuff I wondered about, but also caused more questions :mrgreen: I do like being able to switch between weapons, and the side missions having an influence on the main missions that Sun Fin mentioned, but I'm not sure what to think of the grappling hook thing, was there anything even close to that in 3k era China? And Liu Bei's mustache is a feature too? :lol:
Valvatorez
Assistant

Previous

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training