Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:51 pm

I get why DW ignored post-WuZhang so long, most people's main interest is the early era figures and battles in my expirence. The Zhuge vs Sima Yi, Liu Bei vs Cao Zao, Zhou Yu vs Zhuge Liang so and so on forth. Rather less Jiang Wei vs Deng Ai let alone anyone else. DW has a lot of work to do in terms of building up latter Wu and getting more from Jin's story if they are to change that (I tend to be more interested in the latter Shu dynamics in the game then I am Jin, they also need to build Wei and Wu's point of view)

I like that characters will have civilian clothes. New costumes:

Cao Xiu: More Hannish purple then blue? It's nice but lacks a little something to really make it spark (bar his sword looking like it is three pieces and needs fixing). Unremarkable face, nix mid of armour and robe, like the golden detail. 6/10

Xun Yu: I like they use his networking as part of the profile, the flying daggers doesn't quite seem suited. Again nice but unremarkable, good colouring of robe, pretty decorations down the side, I like the chain holding the cloak, decent hat. 6.5

Zhu Ran: New look, hopefully a revamp of his personality (though some of the reactions to Zhu Run's obsession in godseekers is amusing, it was a awful persona). Quite nice, white trousers work well with the red top though it being so filled with holes is a big weird, more mature face, not a fan of the yellow or the patterns. 6.5

Jiang Wei: Very Jiang Wei, good mix of armour, robe, nix mix of gold/silver/green, enjoy the pattern on the robe and the little details on the shoulderguard. 7

Yue Ying: Ok that weapon skews the image as she seems really really small and to the side. I very much like the bottom half, the boots and the white trousers look good with the shield on the leg alright but can take or leave, the top half would also be good if just the armless jacket. Alas the black and white shirt bit seems designed to draw one's eye to her bosom, not a fan of such long and it combines with her face that looks... they seem to have utterly dropped the idea of her not being good looking and it feels wrong for her. I could see that face and hair looking good on a Zhen Ji like figure but Yue Ying? 5

Wen Yang: I suspect I would like the hairstyle but there are elements of this that feels Xiahou Ba like. Armour fine but the blue stuff around the waist looks like plastic, may look rather better in action but as it stands 5.5

Zhuge Dan: Placing fans and other weapons in front of a character for photo aren't helpful. That colour combo of purple and light blue could go horribly wrong but fan is hiding it, is a sense the colours aren't quite matching and it looks a little gaudy. 5.5

=====

Civ's:

Cao Cao: He looks large around the waist, good touch with the hair down, love the decorations on the robe. 6.5

Xiahou Dun: The orange, it BURNNNNNNNNS. I like the idea, the blue with opatterns robe under looks good but the orange colouring is ugly 5.5

Sun Ce: Ok I think the problem is armour helps sell power but robes makes them look a bit chubby as it stands. Not a fan of yellow but generally does a decent job, I don't warm to it though 5.5

Da Qiao: I prefer her formal haircut but a nice dress, might have been better without the pink but still I enjoy the white dress underneath. 6

Ma Chao: Can we get him banned from ever taking his helmet off? Please for the love of humanity. Not a big fan of that shade of green, nice pattern 5

Zhuge Liang: Feels like they took an RTK portrayal and carried it over. Which is fine, it works well, the famous white and black, the brown-green nicely contrasts it as underobe, looks scholarly, looks very Zhuge 7

Sima Shi: Maybe lose the hat? I enjoy the forest sash, feel like the colours don't quite cobine as well as they ough but looks nice enough 6

Wang Yuanji: Lovely dress, I like the jewellery, dress flows well, perhaps a bit too many colours (gold, light blue, turquoise, white, yellow). 6.5

Yuan Shao: Huzazah the hair is free! I shouldn't like that floppy dangling bit over his forehead but I do, that yellow may not be my fav but it suits his style, it feels a rich robe, good decorations 6

Lu Bu: I prefer his formal hair, maybe might have been better without the red and white bit to the top but otherwise it looks good. The blue works well with the gold decoration and the purple on white for bottom half is nice 7
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Lost » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:33 pm

Wow that's a big update. I'm very happy to see the addition of civilian clothes as it didn't make much sense for Cao Cao to look like an emperor when he was just starting out on his military conquests. I do agree that in general they make them look a bit chubby but it's something I can learn to live with.

I do find myself disagreeing with Dong on a couple of things though. Firstly, Yuan Shao's hair is ridiculous and it is already bugging me a bit :P

Second, orange and blue is a great combination and suits Xiahou Dun perfectly!

As for the new additions, I feel a bit underwhelmed. I actually liked Yueyings new costume the most but as Dong Zhou correctly pointed out, her breasts stick out far too much. I'm actually not against her being attractive but this is just too forced. I also quite liked Zhuge Dan's costume although there's something about his face that just doesn't quite sit right with me. The rest, as I said, were a little disappointing.
Lost
Apprentice

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:54 am

Yeah, not too worried about the chubby, may well be just looks bad in still image or something were they didn't account for how such figures might look outside armour and fix next game

Lost wrote:I do find myself disagreeing with Dong on a couple of things though. Firstly, Yuan Shao's hair is ridiculous and it is already bugging me a bit :P

Second, orange and blue is a great combination and suits Xiahou Dun perfectly!

As for the new additions, I feel a bit underwhelmed. I actually liked Yueyings new costume the most but as Dong Zhou correctly pointed out, her breasts stick out far too much. I'm actually not against her being attractive but this is just too forced. I also quite liked Zhuge Dan's costume although there's something about his face that just doesn't quite sit right with me. The rest, as I said, were a little disappointing.

Disagreement is fine. I'm touching the ban button just for exercise, no need to worry you heretic :P

I can certainly see Yuan Shao's hair annoying people, I like it for some reason but more likely to annoy.

I'm hoping there are certain "in town, civ" conversations that are restricted to characters and what scenario your in+plenty of them
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Lost » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:18 pm

In the system section it says that you'll be able to find every officer in their civilian clothing in cities throughout the land at some point or another. I assume these will be spread throughout the eras although for a minute it sounded a bit like Pokemon.

I suspect finding people like Pang Tong and Fa Zheng might be a bit of a challenge but that will be part of the fun.

Also, I wonder if you'll be able to play as Liu Bei and just completely ignore Zhuge Liang or if that'll be a required mission to continue the story.
Lost
Apprentice

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:41 pm

It is meant to be history based so I assume Liu Bei has to have Zhuge Liang in his forces and will, perhaps not in civ mode, comes across Liang during the Shu battles. I think it would be a good idea that recruiting Liang be part of a mission rather then cutscene at start/end of scenario
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Lost » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:45 pm

That would make the most sense. I'm just curious to see how they manage all of these little interactions. I imagine it might be quite challenging to make the whole journey feel natural if we're in control of our character the entire time and are free to journey all over China.
Lost
Apprentice

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:18 pm

The koei site has music up and more civ costumes

Xu Zhu: Looks really nice, clothing one could relax in. Good white with patterns and blue trim and red belt to give it colour. 7.5

Ling Tong: Also good, the open neck feels very him and it feels a relaxed suit, wasn't sure at pink at first glance but it works for him once it give it a moment. Less keen on the colour scheme then I am Xu Zhu, feel it is a bit too many. 6.5

Liu Bei: Not a big fan of that shade of green but I really like the tree patterns and Liu Bei's face seems a lot softer without the helmetm again this feels like clothes one could relax in. 7

Xiahou Ba: That I initially typed Zhong Hui is not a good signal. The lightblue is too bright and doesn't mesh well with the gold. 5
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby DragonAtma » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:43 pm

I get the feeling that Dong Zhou really isn't fond of DyW9 designs. You rated sixty of them so far; two were 8/10, five were 7.5/10, and the rest 7/10 or lower.

What would it take to get you to give them a 9/10 or higher?

Or you could change them to 8/8, 7.5/8, and 7/8 -- that works too!
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Valvatorez » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:18 am

No offense Dong Zhou, but your ratings are pretty weird, almost everyone it seems gets a 6.5, even if you say you like how they look or don't, how does someone even get half a point? :p
I'm not sure what you expected from a game that has so many sequels, or if you play other games that have many spin-offs, but in a lot of games, characters don't really change THAT much from game to game, especially something like this that's based off (somewhat) real life people, there's only so much they can change without having everyone complain (Guan Yu always has to have his beard, Zhuge Liang always has to look confident/elegant/arrogant, Lu Bu always has to look like he wants to bash someone's head in) so again, I'm not sure what you expected, but your ratings make it seem like you view everyone in the game so far as being mediocre or average.

Anyways, I think some of the designs look pretty good, I really liked Guan Yinping's and Zhen Ji's new look, and think most of them look pretty good in general, especially compared to previous games. I'm more worried about the gameplay itself.
Valvatorez
Master

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:45 am

DragonAtma wrote:I get the feeling that Dong Zhou really isn't fond of DyW9 designs. You rated sixty of them so far; two were 8/10, five were 7.5/10, and the rest 7/10 or lower.

What would it take to get you to give them a 9/10 or higher?

Or you could change them to 8/8, 7.5/8, and 7/8 -- that works too!

For the design to actually sing and bring world peace. :wink: It would have to really wow me and nearly everything be perfect

In terms of the general designs: Some shades I'm not fond of which is never going to help the score and one or two cases of "way too similar to", first batch of civilian clothes had issues with they hadn't tweaked the bodies to suit the change of clothing. On the females I really dislike "look at the chest" one or two have and the loss of armour has tended to suck.

Changing to "more realistic"? That has tended to work well, once or twice I have missed a bit of flair but it also helped tone down some figures who needed it. I'm overall positive about it (bar the armour issue), very few designs so far I have actively disliked, a bunch that I'm not fussed about (but believe some of them will grow more fond of within game) and quite a few I like well enough. Which with costumes is all I'm looking for, that I like most of them and hate few

Valvatorez wrote:No offense Dong Zhou, but your ratings are pretty weird, almost everyone it seems gets a 6.5, even if you say you like how they look or don't, how does someone even get half a point? :p
I'm not sure what you expected from a game that has so many sequels, or if you play other games that have many spin-offs, but in a lot of games, characters don't really change THAT much from game to game, especially something like this that's based off (somewhat) real life people, there's only so much they can change without having everyone complain (Guan Yu always has to have his beard, Zhuge Liang always has to look confident/elegant/arrogant, Lu Bu always has to look like he wants to bash someone's head in) so again, I'm not sure what you expected, but your ratings make it seem like you view everyone in the game so far as being mediocre or average.

Anyways, I think some of the designs look pretty good, I really liked Guan Yinping's and Zhen Ji's new look, and think most of them look pretty good in general, especially compared to previous games. I'm more worried about the gameplay itself.

No offence always leads to good things!

My last one had one 6.5 :P I would say the last big set was not a good batch personally though. A .5 is where the score below feels too harsh but the point above feels just too strong

So when most of my stuff is in the top half of scores, that is a bad thing? How many times have I said mediocre or the equivalent? I agree that a game like DW (I don't tend to play games that go beyond 3/4 games other then football games in the past which tended to go big leap then 2-3 years of tweaks) what one is going to get is tweaks on a formula with a very rare major overhaul of a look. I'm perfectly happy with that

I suspect Yiping's look will be something I like more within the game. My main concern is also gameplay (not sure about openworld and going back to individual stories but fingers crossed)
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training