Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:52 am

Lost wrote:That's a good theory Sun Fin but it would mean they don't give us access to any Jin characters for a very long time.

Yeah that's a really good point, I hadn't thought of that.I tend to forget about Jin being it's own faction. In my head it's Wei Part 2 :lol: Doesn't mean they won't do it that way. Does seem to make it unlikely though. Perhaps they'll pick 3 people from each faction and once you complete their story modes you unlock a new character? Just like on the early games.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lost » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:05 pm

I still think unlocking characters once you enter the next era makes sense. Perhaps they'll make an exception for Jin and give us two different eras to chose from, the start or the end.

That or possibly they'll do what they did in DW8E and give us access to all of the eras straight away but frankly I think that would be a mistake. Unlocking new content definitely adds an extra layer of motivation to play the game and a feeling of accomplishment when you unlock that character or era that you're particularly interested in.
Lost
Apprentice

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:54 pm

DW9 site mentions changes to moveset and new models (two couples, a Shu sibling pairing and Xu Sheng)

Zhen Ji: I see what they are going for but it doesn't work for me. Poor choices of blue and purple, a... plastically look to the arm coverings, it feels like there is a bit too much of everything like feather, jewellery. 5/10

Cao Pi: Interesting, more silver look then I was expecting. Possibly a little too metallic but otherwise I like it, got another detail and blue to overcome the risk of it being bland. 6.5

Xu Sheng: Scar is nice touch and generally a solid outfit, face works with nice hair, good details to the coat, enough variety of colours, I like the shoulder guards. Like the add, good, solid choice 6.5

Xing Cai: In and on itself, not a bad costume (though did DW ladies hear of the thigh gap and decide it was the best thing ever?) but it feels wrong. Nice mix of green and white with a bit of gold, love the gloves, nice hairpeice but that lack of armour makes it like not quite her. 5.5

Zhang Bao: Just me or does his face looking more generic? Never fans of such orange as the sash but armour looks good and shiny, nice mix with green clothing and lovely golden details. He looks perfectly fine 6.5

Wang Yuanji: I don't know if it is the outfit or the pose but somehow that reminds me of GuoBiao's phrase for her when they did a "over her chest" screenshot. Good boots, nice mix of colours with purple on edges, pale blue, white as the main, bits of gold. Like the necklace. It looks nice but I can't help but feel it would more suit a Diao Chan and not quite her. 6

Sima Zhao: Looks good, colour scheme works, love the shoulder guards and the boots, purple armour under robe looks a little odd at chest area, nice patterns on the robe. 6.5
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Lost » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:46 pm

So will Xing Cai and Lu Lingqui share a move set or will it be two different sets with the same weapon? A bit like Dragon Spear and regular spear.

Also Wang Yuanji's face looks a bit doll like to me.
Lost
Apprentice

Unread postby Lost » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:24 pm

More characters have been released! This time it's Wang Yi, Zhang Liao and Yu Jin for Wei. Huang Gai for Wu. Guo Hai, Deng Ai and Xiahou Ba for Jin.

My personal highlights are:

Zhang Liao has a cape and it looks awesome! I'm not sure how it will look in battle though, it might be better if he flings it off whenever he does a charge attack to enter a battle. Not that they'll do that but it would be a cool idea.

Huang Gai has a real weapon again.

Deng Ai looks better than ever.
Last edited by Lost on Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost
Apprentice

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:12 pm

We've also had the semi-final results come in and the below names have advanced to the final:

5) Zhou Tai
4) Diao Chan
3) Zhao Yun
2) Lu Bu
1) Wang Yuanyi

I like Wang Yuanyi but I had no idea she was this popular. As much as I like her I'll be voting for Zhao Yun in the final!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lost » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:59 pm

I'm very surprised to see Wang Yuanji in first and even more surprised to see Zhou Tai reach top 5. I know he has a cool and I'll assume very popular weapon but as a character he's rather bland.

I think I'll be voting Zhao Yun or Diao Chan.
Lost
Apprentice

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:14 pm

Lost wrote:even more surprised to see Zhou Tai reach top 5. I know he has a cool and I'll assume very popular weapon but as a character he's rather bland.

I think his got one of the best move sets to be fair. That said his not my favourite character-wise, too much part of Sun Quan's faction!
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:32 pm

The poll results for semi final were cleared of Asian votes thus the delay for it coming out. I find Wang Yuanji divides those on forums but votes showing the DW communiities here and KW are not representative of the fanbase

On looks:

Wang Yi: Do they dislike women in armour now? The look is fine though her dress is too dark a colouring, I like the bits of armour they keep and provides nice contract to dress, I do like her hair. 6.5/10

Zhang Liao: Really good until they get to the hat. Nice powerful armour which is balanced out by gold decoration and clothing like the cloak or the blue sash. I wish they hadn't got the sideguards on the hat as it changes the way the face looks, nice fancy details and white plume. 6.5

Yu Jin: Idea made sense but for some reason the armour looks like plastic toy. Could be fine if unremarkable within game but that model looks bad 5.5

Huang Gai: Not been a fan of his looks in recent games but this does nicely, got the muscles still, a better haircut (not sure about the grin), costume adds to his sense of power. Club and shield seems odd? 6.5

Deng Ai: Wasn't a fan of his old costumes and his overly sized muscles so having those hidden away is a bonus for me. However it does lack something distinct by doing that. Armour and blue cloth fine but the golden armour additions look clunky. 6

Guo Huai: Yay toning down old sickly. Pale is fine, I like the white streak in hair but the costume just feels.... washed out and blarg? I can see why they might go for washed out but it just makes the thing unmemorable 5.5

Xiahou Ba: Dislike the yellow in that plume, his face looks a bit too boyish under that helmet. Possibly not helped by size and the bright-colouring of clothing. Armour is fine but I don't warm to it or the gold detail 6
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby DragonAtma » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:29 pm

So I just realized something. As of DyW9, there are four playable fictional characters:

* Guan Suo (Shu)
* Bao Sanniang (Shu)
* Zhou Cang (Shu)
* Zhurong (Nanman, then Shu)

Koei, I know that you love Shu, but wouldn't it make more sense to include people like Zhang Ni, Wang Ping, Liao Hua, and Zhuge Zhan? Even Jian Yong may be feasible; he was with Liu Bei since the very beginning, and his laid-back, carefree attitude (historical, I'd add!) would be a change from the serious attitudes of most officers.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training